• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lots on the waiting list

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
I've had many phone calls today and yesterday for incoming bunnies:cry:
Are other rescues having a high number of calls this weekend?

tomorrow we have another dutch..another nethie and a castor rex coming in..all boys....

Last time I spoke to Donna we had about 30 to come in :shock: I am pairing up buns as quick as I can but not quick enough, I have my days off booked up for the majority of March for pairings up :roll:

I have 5 piggies coming in over the next 2 days.

I'll make up the spare hutch in the morning shall I!

Maybe people are clearing out the old ones, to make way for cute fluffy easter bunnies! :(

I'll make up the spare hutch in the morning shall I!

Maybe people are clearing out the old ones, to make way for cute fluffy easter bunnies! :(

I thought that :roll: plus the weather has been so dire for so many months now - we didn't even have a summer - some people just can't seem to find a pair of wellies or a coat :(

I've noticed a lot more rabbits and guineas on my local Freecycles. We don't normally get any, atleast not over the winter. There have been many in the last weeks and I've had quite a few emails too. I have links with the Freecycles in my area (I live near the boarders of three counties) so they give my contact details to people rehoming and looking to rehome animals so I can point them in the direction of rescues etc. It seems to be most animals, including a pony, goats and pigs, although I do live in rural Wales!

I have been contacted about two over the weekend, but thats the extent of our waiting list? Infact I actually have spaces :shock:

Things have been pretty static here for a couple of weeks now. :?

This makes me so sad and why I now think there should be a blanket ban on livestock (all) being sold in petshops.... I know there will be BYB, but... at least it may help animals being bought on a whim, when Mummy and Daddy just wanna shut their kids up... and they buy too small a cage and the animal suffers, cos what happens if they don't get into rescue or someone else won't take them??:cry::cry:

I'm not surprised really, there are only 4 official 'rabbit' rescues in Scotland, and they're mostly on the East coast, the only other ones are SSPCA which takes in all sorts of animals. It makes the burden massive :( We get calls from all over Scotland, funnily enough huge numbers from the Glasgow area. It would be wonderful if some new rabbit rescues popped up.

The amount of backyard breeders we have in this area is astounding and infuriating, plus all three pet shops in our small town sell rabbits :roll:

We can only do what we can and know our limits, otherwise we couldn't cope and it would all spiral out of control. It's soooooo hard having to refuse buns, and people can be so rude, especially the ones who say 'you HAVE to take the rabbit/s, it's your job, it's what you get paid for' :shock: (don't get me started on that statement! :evil: ). We've given up being polite to people like that :oops:

I hate easter :(

yep it's hard saying no.
Because we have a good reputation and people know we do not euthanise for space..or the old or infirm..most people who are giving up their pets for genuine reasons are willing to wait for a space..
it's the "I need rid of this bl**dy rabbit " brigade that is so hard to deal with:cry:

We also have the growing number of permanent residents..mainly dental bunnies....
oh well we still have the Easter purchases to look forward to..at least it's early this year so gives all us rescues time to deal with the fall-out from that before the "I'm going on holiday tomorrow so you HAVE to take my rabbit" starts in June

Sue (SRR) and I were only talking about this yesterday and she was saying she's had a lot of phone calls too this week.:(. It's so hard when you know there will be fall out after Easter, as you say Jill, predictable summer holidays and then as soon as the weather starts changing and it gets dark early, people can't be bothered. Horrible that so many are still be treated like a seasonal accessory then moved on.:( Just got to brace ourselves I guess and do what we can to help as many as is poss.

Back