• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice please on how to bond rabbits

maisydaisystar

Alpha Buck
I have Tilly, who i will at some point want to bond with a neutered male, Do I need another hutch to do so, just a bit unsure how to go about it, and how to house them both.
I will take her to the rspca and do first introductions there, but what happens once we have had out home check and get him home, How slowly does it have to be? and if he has to go into a seperate hutch, wouldn't this be like bonding from the beginning every day?
I would appreciate any advice
Thankyou all x

Hello :wave:

Much depends on the bunnies, in my experience sometimes they hate each other immediatley and i wouldn't force a bond. In most cases, there is a bit of chasing and humping, its all about sorting out who is boss. Once they have started to groom and snuggle then they should be left together to consolidate a bond. If bonding off site (home) you can expect a few set backs once home as home bunny will be territorial, best you can hope for is a submissive adoptee who will allow original bunny to be boss.

No need to get an additional hutch if you have an area in your house where you can introduce, that said if your bunnies are outdoor bunnies then best find a neutral outdoor area as they don't respond well to temperature differences. Pm me if you want to chat more xx

Edit, you should clean out existing hutch and run areas with white vinegar to neutralise the area before putting them back in together

Back