• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis

From what i know of Myxo, it was a man made disease introduced in Australia to combat the over population of Rabbits :shock: It found its way over here and is now transmitted mainly by insect bites. I'm sure there is lots more to it, but that is my understanding.

yeah it can be carried by mozzies, cat fleas (if they come into contact with wild rabbits) and fur mites from infected rabbits. Mozzies can fly miles and miles, and they tend to overwinter in rabbit burrows and sheds etc. so they are prime carriers.

it wasn't man-made as such, it was seen in south america, where it caused the odd lump, but the rabbits there (cottontails) had become fairly resistant to it... However, in the european rabbit, it is fatal... it was introduced to Australia and Europe etc. as a control method...
It's a virus that is passed from rabbit to rabbit via an insect vector eg. mozzie, rabbit flea or another biting vector eg. mites...
there seems to be a cycle where resistance to the disease provokes higher virulence of the virus - it's pretty quick to evolve :?

Back