• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foraging for food

ailz

Alpha Buck
I read in a magazine (Yours, I think) that rabbits spend 70 - 80 percent of their time in the wild foraging for food and that rather than feeding them in a dish, food should be scattered in their hay, making them work for it.

Does anyone do this?

I've been doing it this week and my two aren't that impressed. They eat the ones they can see, but won't hunt for them. I've tried them with a treat ball too and they just throw it in their water dish.

They do eat their hay. Should I give in and go back to putting it in a dish?

I do that, mine have never had bowls I dont think..I do think its more natural & they will definately get more used to it X

I tried scattering their pellets but they don't seem to use their sense of smell, just eating the ones they see. I use bowls to find them pellets.

I used a treat ball for a long time but then i decided that Nala was slower than the others and maybe wasnt getting so many. So i now sprinkle their pellets around the floor, not actually in hay just on the floor.. they hunt them all out.. not that they get many anyway though ;) Id never use a bowl for them

Back