• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

chewing on nothing??

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
does your bunny ever just...chew, even though there's nothing in her mouth?

Sorrel has been at this all day. I'm worried she's grinding her teeth (pain) but I can't hear anything. Mainly becuase if I get close enough to listen, she stops the "chewing" and starts licking my knees.

Any thoughts? Thankyou x x

Is Sorrel your Bunny with an abscess?
Is it a jaw abscess?

Janex

She is yes, and it's a jaw abcess :/ IThe abcess is quite inactive at the moment, it was cleaned under GA and there was very little pus, but she's also been ahving problems with molar spurs. I feel like she's been a bit inactive over the past few days but it might just be cos I've been off work so I've been watching her more.

I can't decide whether I'm just being paranoid - I don'twant to take her to the vet unless I'm certain somehting's wrong because they'll want to put ehr under GA to look at her teeth. :?

yes, my rabbit did this after having an abscess removed. In her case her jaw had been damaged and was then misaligned making her do those 'circular' jaw motions. I hated seeing her do it as I knew she must have been uncomfortable!

yes, my rabbit did this after having an abscess removed. In her case her jaw had been damaged and was then misaligned making her do those 'circular' jaw motions. I hated seeing her do it as I knew she must have been uncomfortable!

what action was necessary next? should i do anything?

My foster bunny was chewing on nothing. When they gave her a GA and looked in her mouth her two back teeth just fell out! :shock:

uh oh :( time for a vet trip?

she had her spurs burred exactly a month ago, could they have grown back this fast do you think? :shock:

uh oh :( time for a vet trip?

she had her spurs burred exactly a month ago, could they have grown back this fast do you think? :shock:

Yes they would. My rabbit Charlie (bun I was referring to)had a lot of problems after having her abscesses removed due to the fracture of her jaw and needed her sharp spurs filed down every 4-5 weeks. I would have the vet give her a throrough check and maybe an x-ray if she doesn have to undergo a GA. My vet continuously dissmissed the jaw circular motion as 'nothing' until the vet I took her to for a second opinion did an x-ray and found the damage caused by her previous vet. Not saying that is exactly what is wrong with Sorrel but I would definitely have her checked. She is obviously struggling at the moment. Charlie was also on permanent pain relief.

Thankyou. i will get her down soonish and hopefully they can evaluate her without needing a GA straight off. im not against her having one if she needs it but would like to keep them to a minimum!

If you are still unsure after all the posts consult your vet, Misty does this chewing action a hell of a lot. As one of the other posts said they do it when they are happy and content. Misty chews and grinds when she is getting cuddles and kisses :D

Back