• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not drinking their water..

honey61

Mama Doe
My rescue buns came 'home' on Wednesday, but so far have not touched a drop of water :cry:
At first I thought perhaps they didn't like their "sippy" bottle, so changed it for the type I have always had before (identical to the one in the rescue)... but alas the level remains the same.. Full! (I have even highered their water bottle just in case it was too low for them)
Last night I put down a bowl of water as well, but again, untouched.
Having only ever had house buns before, I am getting concerned at the lack of fluid intake, however, they have both eaten everything put before them, plus a wide variety of veg & fruit... & are still full of energy :D

Any advice would be much appreciated.

If they're outside then put a splash of boiling water out of the kettle in their dish - mine really love it :) I went out this morning and they hadn't drunk anything - I got them a 'cuppa' and pointed them in the right direction, and they really had a good drink - they love it hot :)

They may well be getting enough fluid from their fruit and veg if they are eating alot of it, mine don't drink much at all in summer as they get most of their water intake from the grass, I find in winter they drink more as the grass has little water content and their veggies and fruit intake is the same amount all year.
Fruit have a high water content so if they are getting plenty of that they are probably fine.

Leave the bowl down too as they are probably just taking small sips.
You can check how hydrated they are at home by gently lifting the skin between the shoulder blades with your thumb and forefinger and letting it go and if it goes down quickly they are well hydrated, if the skin stays standing up or goes down very slowly they are very likely to be dehydrated - in this instance pop them to the vet asap.

If they are acting like a healthy rabbit though I suspect they are just having very small amounts due to the veggies and fruit :)

Thank you both for your advice. I am perhaps just being a little over anxious, but as I said my house bunny used to drink gallons so it seemed a little odd :)

Will do the skin test to be on the safe side though & try a morning cuppa :D

Leanne, the skin test is out dated, one of my vets explained it's no longer accurate, but I don't remember the reason why (she did explain to me once) meaning that if the skin doesn't bounce back, it's definitely dehydrated. But if it does bounce back quickly, it Does Not mean the bunny has enough water.

Bernie has the same problem, turns out he has dental disease. He was eating the pellet, some veggies, and bunny treats, but no water. So I have no choice that night to force feed the water via syringe.

But to do so, I have to feed a small amt. of water divided in a 24 hr. time period because too much water by mouth may cause bloat.

Dr. Hancourt-Brown has make it very clear in her book that a normal rabbit need to drink:

50 to 100 ml of water PER KG of Bunny Weight per 24 hr.

So if your bunny weighs 2 KG, then taking an average no., that bunny should be drinking 75 ml x 2 KG = 150 ml in a 24 hr. period.

To measure water consumption, use a water bowl that has at least 1 marker on the inside ring. Fill the water to that level, after the 24 hr. is up, take the remaining water to fill up a measure cup, and then subtract a full bowl (with the marking)., again measure it via a measure cup.

subtract the 2 and you'll get the exact amt. of water your bunny is consuming

A rabbit not drinking water is a very serious health problem, it's definitely not normal. One of my last bunny, Little Happy, who didn't drink water for 7 mth. turns out had liver cancer. I have to do sub-Q daily for him

Hi

Oscar went through a period of not drinking water, strangely enough when we got him a friend he started drinking gallons :lol:.

I suggest marking their water bottles to see if they are drinking.

Also soak their veg with water, ensuring that they are getting some fluids.

I dont think syringe feeding water is a neccessary, just keep and eye on them.

Back