• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Serena Guinea Pig is sick again...U/d no improvement

JellyBelly

Mama Doe
Ok basically long story short is Serena has had respiratory problems since about June last year.
Initially she was treated with Baytril which cleared up the initial infection. However today is her fourth trip since June.
Each time she has been treated with Baytril injections as oral Baytril just didn't work.

Her last trip before today was before Christmas. However about mid January i started to hear a rattle when she was breathing.
Now i monitored her and tried various alternative treatments but took her back to the vet today as nothing had worked.
Please note if she had detrioated at any stage i would have taken her to the vet.

Anyway after discussions with my vet today we have reached the conclusion that had it been an infection she wouldn't still be here.
Backed up by the fact that there is no mucus or sneezing.
He did a thorough examination (much more so than the vets previously) and said that her chest is not the problem but her throat is.
He said that it could be an obstruction/inhaled piece of food.
So she had another Baytril injection and is back tomorrow to see if there is any improvement.
If there isn't then we need to re think as to what the problem may be.

He mentioned a wanting to get a good look at her throat but isnt keen to have her under a GA at this stage.

So now i'm worried about what the outcome will be :cry::(

Last edited:
Vague bells ringing about the other time you mentioned this - I mentioned my piggie Florence who went to the vet rattling? Vet said she'd inhaled some food and there was nothing could be done and hopefully she'd sneeze it out in a couple of days? Florence got mites meanwhile from the stress of a vet visit :roll: Anyway - she's done it twice since then - the last time only last week. She rattles for about 3 days then is fine - I think she just has a habit of breathing in food although I panic every time and watch her for other signs of an infection, like runny nose/eyes or poorly behaviour - but she's never ill, she just carries on as normal but rattling - I think I'll be less worried next time it happens now I've watched her a few times :) After I checked with the vet first time I don't take her in now - although I would if it went on longer than a few days, or if she had other symptoms. I'm sure trips to the vets are majorly stressful for piggies, since Florence got mites that time.

Last edited:
Well thats why i left it so long before taking her this time as she did not appear ill so the last thing i wanted was the stress of a vet trip every day or so for an injection that might not work.

I really am puzzled as she is totally fine other wise. If it is something she has inhaled she hasnt managed to dislodge it.......

Well back to the vet tomorrow to discuss a course of treatment.
Poor little girlie born at the RSPCA and constantly at the vets whilst shes been with me :cry:

One of mine has a chronic respiratory problem - she makes a racket when she breathes every few weeks or so, and it is around her nose region, not her chest. What normally sorts her out is some Olbas oil on a couple of tissues high up on the bars of the cage (so they can't bring them down). I also have some Bisolvon from the vet, which clears any mucus, if the Olbas doesn't deal with it. Another thing you can try is steam.

I have tried all those things but to no avail...although the Olbas Oil made the piggie room smell 10 x better!
She also doesnt have any mucus :?

Has she got the 'pea eye' thingy too? My Florence has - the white fatty blob on the corner of their eye. It's a sign of heart disease, so maybe that's where the rattling comes from, as heart disease can cause fluid to build up on the lungs - but then you would expect it to be more permanent :?

She has shown no improvement after three Baytril injections (three previously cleared her of infection) :cry:
The vet is now going over or options, one being a GA and throat examination as he is now certain its not an infection.

Anyone had any experience of this?

Vibes for my little one please :cry:

sorry to hear about you piggy.

i had a piggy with rattles (like bunny snuffles) she lived with it for the 3 years i had her (she was a rescue piggy). I put a few drops of olbas oil in her bedding, which didn't really help but made me feel like i was doing something, as the vets said that there was nothing that would cure it. Ivory was a very happy piggy, and loved chasing her piggy pals, and also loved her food.

as with most breathing problems (gosh i know through having asthma) the cold weather made her very noisey and we brought Ivory indoors when itwas really cold.

does serena seem stressed?

No she is fine otherwise, i mean she has never been a cuddly pig anyway.
I am thinking about letting her live with it for as long as it doesnt compromise her health.
Will discuss options with the vet first.
I, too have tried Olbas Oil etc.

I have a huge Pampered Piggies parcel coming tomorrow, she needs treating with all these vets trips!

Back