• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shivy's first rescue......U/D He's here with pics!

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Well I have been woken up this mornig by my neighbour in a bit of a flap. A friend of hers has called her to say that her friend (I know starting to get confusing :rolleyes:) has a male neutered bunny with hutch and run (no idea of the size) who is free to a good home because she is in fear for it's life :(

Apparently they had a bunny previously which they bought for their 6 year old son who is autistic (I know not great but I don't want to get into a debate about people buying bunnies for kids). That bunny, they thought had died of natural causes and found another who was a stray. It transpires that it was the little boy who killed the previous rabbit :(:( and so now parents are panicking bout this bunny and know they need to rehome him.

He is apparently neutered but I haven't been able to find out if that is because they have neutered him or he was found neutered. I am getting all of the vet records so thats good. I have no idea if he is a giant or a nethie so watch this space :lol: (the impression I get he is a smallish rabbit).

Its very sad circumstances and its terrible what has happened but I am glad the owners are doing whats it in the best interests of the bunny and also their son.

They are bringing him round at about 5pm today so I will keep you posted and put up pics after he has settled.

Wish me luck :wave:

Shiv

Last edited:
Oh My goodness,the quicker that poor bunny comes to you the better!!Well done for giving him a new home
Do you know how this child killed the rabbit??Would an autistic child be capable of doing this??Very very sad situation.:cry:
Good luck this evening let us know

Oh My goodness,the quicker that poor bunny comes to you the better!!Well done for giving him a new home
Do you know how this child killed the rabbit??Would an autistic child be capable of doing this??Very very sad situation.:cry:
Good luck this evening let us know

my son's got high functioning autism and when he was as young as this boy with the rabbit, he was seriously dangerous - I threw away all my kitchen knives after he tried to kill me aged 5, and he would attack toddlers for not talking - didn't understand why they cried and it annoyed him. I would guess this little boy was simply too rough with the rabbit, trying to make it do something it couldn't do. Even now my son is 14, I thought the other day it would be nice to let him hold one of the guinea pigs - one of the really tame ones - but I just daren't let him as if the piggie so much as nibbled or scratched him, I know he'd just react and fling it across the room - he is impulsive and just panics with animals.

I thought long and hard about getting rabbits and kept them outside where they were safe from my son (who said he hated animals and would kill them) - Thankfully now he's older he loves them - it's taught him a lot about understanding and tolerance, but I would NEVER allow him near them without supervision - in my opinion the parents are at fault for letting this happen, but you do have illusions about your child, wanting so much for them to be normal - and you can't watch them all the time if you have other responsibilities :(

Last edited:
Thank you Elve. I too believe that if they were supervising him properly then the incident with the first bunny would never of happened. I can't possibly imagine what they go through with their little boy and so thats why I cannot be too judgemental.

I don't want to say how he killed it as I think it would upset too many people but from the sounds of it I think the parents weren't supervising adequately i.e. either they weren't there or had their back turned. The parents are at fault but in terms of the little man who is still here I think they are doing the right thing now they realise their little boy is too dangerous to be around small animals.

I will keep you all posted when the little man arrives. Having a bit of a drama about where I am gonna put him as I don't want Zion and Fia to start attacking eachother at the smell of another rabbit around. I think he will have to go at the end of the garden.

Will keep you posted.

Good luck with getting him.

One of my nephews has cerebral palsy, and he once almost killed a kitten. I think he found it very hard to understand how delicate animals are. :cry:

Good Luck!
Well done for rescuing him from a difficult situation. Will look later for piccies!!:D

Well I am getting excited - he should be here within the hour :D

Just had to post this before I burst. This is so bad. I'm not really intending on keeping him because I don't know how I would but I have a bad feeling I'm gonna get attached. Hmmmmm.

Anyway will keep you posted :D

Well I am getting excited - he should be here within the hour :D

Just had to post this before I burst. This is so bad. I'm not really intending on keeping him because I don't know how I would but I have a bad feeling I'm gonna get attached. Hmmmmm.

Anyway will keep you posted :D

you sound like a hopeless case to me :lol: hope he settles in well :D

Well he is here :D

No piccies yet as just letting him settle in.

He is an otter coloured uppy eared normal bunny who is called Winter and VERY chubby!

Now he is here though I am in a rather sticky situation. He has arrived in a very small hutch which is on top of a tiny little run. I cannot keep him in there but I am BROKE! Luckily I have my old 4x2x2 hutch in the garage which I can move him in to but I don't have a run. He is already making mischeif in his run/hutch combo (ripping up paper, chewing the litter trays, searching for an escape route) so he is obviously quite bored. Not really sure what I am gonna do :(

The guy said they bring him in the house to run around in the evenings etc which I can't do as my dog wouldn't tolerate it as she is old and blind and ill at the moment, and I don't like bringing bunnies into my centrally heated house and sticking them back out in the cold. So not sure how much contact he will have in comparison to before.

He has a damp bottom and tail but haven't been able to have a proper look yet as he is very weary of me. I would put this down to the fact that he is rather large and can't clean himself properly. I also haven't checked if he is definately neutered.

I also think they have lied. They said they have had this bunny for about 18months. I don't know when the son killing the previous rabbit transpired but seems like an awful long time. I think they just wanted rid of the bunny although he did say his son is getting more twitchy around the bunny and keeps trying to grab him by the legs and paws.

Hmmmm anyway. Gonna go and take some pics. Will post them in a bit

Hugs

Shiv

Here you go - dreadful housing:

Hutch.jpg

hutch2.jpg

And here is Winter - not sure that name suits him.
Winter1.jpg

Winter2.jpg

He is odd. I tried to give him some dried pineapple and he turned his nose up. Don't know if he will eat it in the night.

Hey ho.

Shiv

Back