• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm not buying/rescuing a bunny

DaisyAsh

New Kit
I've decided, I'm not getting a bunny,, the worst of it is I came to this site because I thought it would help me decide the best course of action & unfortunatly most of you have put me off.
I think the problem is there are too many people with too many opinions, too many people wanting you to decide what is best for you & not the rabbit, although they say it is in the best interest of the rabbit, petshop/breeder/rescue it really doesn't matter because without petshops & breeders there would be no rescue centres, so maybe thats the answer, take away the need to own a rabbit & petshops & breeders won't sell them, then the rescues needn't exsist.

Thankyou to everyone who contacted me.

Sorry you've came to that decision.
If you really want a bunny, have weighed up pros and cons, and have decided you can commit, go for it. If its something you want dont let anyone stand in your way. I had a recent set back on the forum, but im still going for what I want. Alot of the people on here are actually very nice genuine people who will offer you great support and advice and help,yes you get your bad apples, but you do everywhere you go.
No RU dosent promote breeding,and alot of members are against it - not because of the people, but because of what breeding can do to a rabbit. Rescues on here are against it because its the rescues who do all the hard work in supporting these bunnies,devoting much precious time to get them checked,and rehomed to the right kind of people. No Ru dosent promote getting your buns from a petshop,and says its better to go to a rescue, they dont force you though and ALOT of us on here have petshop rabbits and arent judged for it. I think all they try to say is, one rabbit rehomed out of a rescue creates more space in the rescue for another rabbit
Vikkie

Last edited:
I've decided, I'm not getting a bunny,, the worst of it is I came to this site because I thought it would help me decide the best course of action & unfortunatly most of you have put me off.
I think the problem is there are too many people with too many opinions, too many people wanting you to decide what is best for you & not the rabbit, although they say it is in the best interest of the rabbit, petshop/breeder/rescue it really doesn't matter because without petshops & breeders there would be no rescue centres, so maybe thats the answer, take away the need to own a rabbit & petshops & breeders won't sell them, then the rescues needn't exsist.

Im sorry you are unhappy that people give advice.

there is no need to own a rabbit no, and if people stop buying them from shops then yes, eventually there would be no rescues. but now, whilst ther are bunnies in rescues, we will have them.

Most people make a decision based on the best interests of the rabbit. The same could be said for any animal for all the points youve raised.

I am sorry that you are not getting a rabbit.Rabbits are not for everyone,especially not for children.What was it about having rabbits that put you off the idea?All rabbits are different,if you wanted one before you came to this site,what was it that made you think you would like to own one?If you get a rabbit from a rescue it would be easier to get one that fitted in with your lifestyle.Hope we didnt scare you away:cry:

I think this forum is just honest:D and lets people know the good side of having a rabbit as well as how complexed these wonderful animals are. You can also find out what most pet shops don't tell you about like ,dental problems, getting them neutered, their vaccinations and the fact that they can have a life span as long as a dog or cat.
Sorry you feel that we have all put you off but we all share the good and bad with each other and surely honesty is the best policy

i dont see how lots of opinions are a problem :shock::shock::shock:

im so glad i found this site as it encouraged me to get a 2nd bunny not put me off and the information i have received has been like a godsend to enable me to put my bunnies first and not the otherway around..

its a shame you have decided bunnies arent for you, but deffo best to work that out before you got one rather than after :D:D

Well thats up to you hun! Maybe bunnies are not for you..

When I joined this forum I had just the one housebun :( now he has a ladybun :D:D and I have a group of 4 in a shed :D
I am sooo happy with everyone one on this forum they have given me so much wonderful advice..

You don't need the approval of forum members to get a bunny. :) If you want one and believe you can provide care for one, go for it. Where you choose to get that bunny from is entirely up to you - I'd agree that people are incredibly opinionated on here. And it certainly intimidates me half the time, also... but in the end, it's up to you to decide what to do. ^-^

It is true that with every forum who's members are passionate there will be lots and lots of "opinions" - that is not a bad thing as you then get the benefit of ALL opinions and may choose which opinion you agree with.;)

I am new here and would not be "intimidated" by anybody online - certainly I would not be fazed if somebody disagreed with me in the slightest. The whole point of a forum is to gather the opinions and thoughts of others in order to decide the best course of action you yourself think is best...Would you care to try another thread entitled "Should I get a rabbit?" and maybe you could gauge the forum members opinions and thoughts from there?

If you've made up your mind however fair enough - rabbits (and indeed forums!) are not for everyone!

All the best,
TP;)

If you want a rabbit or not then that's your own decision, not ours. How you take care of it is your own decision not ours. Like donnamt said, I dont see how lots of opinions are a problem. The people on the forum are simply pointing you in the right direction; not trying to put you off. If you were lost on the road, and asked for directions, and someone gave you them, and with that you reached the destination, but it wasnt as good as you thought it would be, you wouldnt just go back to the person who gave you directions and say that they shouldnt have done that, because you would've found the way yourself, would you? YOUR the one that asked.

the worst of it is I came to this site because I thought it would help me decide the best course of action & unfortunatly most of you have put me off.

You HAVE decided the best course of action. Its your own problem that some of us put you off, because your the one that decided you would be unable to care for a bun.

Yes, if people didnt breed or have buns in petstores there would eventually be no petstores, but what about those accidental litters that keep happening with bunnies that are already homed? the bunnies that will still be homed in those rescues? The population would still keep going, because of the accidental litters.

If you dont think you can take care of a bunny, then I respect that. But to say that we're the ones that have put you off and made you decide this is untrue.

Sasha :wave:

I agree with StarskyH - having a rabbit is a long term and time consuming commitment that is not for everyone. If you are put off simply by this forum then maybe your passion for owning a rabbit wasn't that great in the first place so yup - you have decided on the best course of action. :D

It is true that with every forum who's members are passionate there will be lots and lots of "opinions" - that is not a bad thing as you then get the benefit of ALL opinions and may choose which opinion you agree with.;)

I am new here and would not be "intimidated" by anybody online - certainly I would not be fazed if somebody disagreed with me in the slightest. The whole point of a forum is to gather the opinions and thoughts of others in order to decide the best course of action you yourself think is best...Would you care to try another thread entitled "Should I get a rabbit?" and maybe you could gauge the forum members opinions and thoughts from there?

If you've made up your mind however fair enough - rabbits (and indeed forums!) are not for everyone!

All the best,
TP;)

Good post:thumb:
Sallyx

From your reaction I thought you'd started a thread and been lectured in some way, but the only other thread you have started was all very civil and showed a range of opinions So what exactly put you off?

Hiya :wave:

I do agree with you i think some people on here can be very intimidating even for people who have a strong personality, but like teepee said there are lots of opinions and yopu just need to read each one and then decide for yourself what YOU believe and agree with. At the end of the day all animals are hard work because they all deserve the right care and can have problems that result in vets bills ect, but we all have them because they have so many benefits too.

I had bunnies as a child and despite what some say i think as long as you have the right bun and the child is old enough to be taught how to handle and care for it properly there is no problem. It taught me responsibility and my mum made sure she supervised us of course, my bunny adored me and i would spend hours with her. It is sad how alot of children these days are allowed to get animals on an impulse and then get bored, i knew as a child it is a long commitment and i think these are good values to teach children.

I have had poeple disagree with my views however i take in what they say and make up my own mind as to whether they have a point or not and maybe stick to talking top the people i find have similar values to me :) my bunnies are healthy and happy and thats all that matters, there are lots of people that would be happy to advise you if needed or chat to you about a new bun.

Whatever you have decided should be right for you and the bun, no-one else.

I feel its quite sad that after coming here you do not want a rabbit:( I think I will always keep rabbits now, as a child I couldn't stand them, as my cousin had a viscious doe called Brigger and she was a moo, probably the fact my cousin was a tormenting :censored: didn't help!:evil: But then when I was in my twenties I stumbled into a pet shop (yes I know:roll:) and I met Raffles and after talking myself out of it for 2 weeks:shock:, he came home:lol: that was awhile ago and 3 weeks ago he left me for the Bridge.... I wish I had had this forum, when I rescued my Dylan, Flint and Smudge... it has taught me so much, not everyone agrees on here, but thats life, but the thing that unites us, is our love for rabbits and the strive to make them so much more than a animal stuck in a hutch forgotten in the garden....

That is very surprising :shock: I love this forum as the advice it gives is invaluable and most of the people on here are lovely.

If we have put you off then that is probably a good thing as clearly rabbits are not for you. Its best to know that now than realise later.

I am a little bewildered at why you posted :? I would have thought if you had changed your mind then that would be it. However it seems you feel the need to criticise this forum, and thats quite sad.

Good on you, you've probably just rescued a rabbit by deciding not to get one:D:D:D If you can't give a full commitment then you shouldn't have one and if a forum has "put you off" then obviously you were not commited enough. Well done :D:D

This is hardly fair.
She says she is not going to get a rabbit due to people who have contacted her - so I'm assuming it was done via PM or something... This person evidently does not feel that she has met with helpful advice, despite what many people have found to the contrary when they joined. And then to prove her wrong, a bunch of people respond with 'good - you're not the right sort of person to own a rabbit anyway then', basically. Not only is that a rather immature response, but how can you judge from this whether someone should or should not adopt or buy a bunny? :? I'm honestly not looking to cause an argument, but it's topics like this which are exactly why I'd find this forum intimidating.

This is hardly fair.
She says she is not going to get a rabbit due to people who have contacted her - so I'm assuming it was done via PM or something... This person evidently does not feel that she has met with helpful advice, despite what many people have found to the contrary when they joined. And then to prove her wrong, a bunch of people respond with 'good - you're not the right sort of person to own a rabbit anyway then', basically. Not only is that a rather immature response, but how can you judge from this whether someone should or should not adopt or buy a bunny? :? I'm honestly not looking to cause an argument, but it's topics like this which are exactly why I'd find this forum intimidating.

im sorry but i dont see how a few honest opinions would cause someone to change thier mind on keeping an animal unless they were alread doubtful.. and i certainly dont think telling someone theyve made the right choice before they go out buy a pet which they decide isnt for them is immature...

if you dont want responses you dont want to hear its best not to post unless you can stand up and take the advice given without blaming a forum for a decision youve come too that your not happy with, our choices are ours and ours alone with or without taking onboard what is posted in a forum....

and the thanx for contacting me line could have been thanx for the posts within threads, i think its a bit unfair to assume nasty pms were sent :shock:

I would be quite happy if there were no need for rescues to exist, for me I would probably gain about 30 hours a week where I could do things for me. No more spending my days off pairing up rabbits for ARC is not a problem for me!!

If by coming on this forum you have discovered that rabbits are not for you, we have saved you and any rabbits from needing to be rehomed in the future. Thank you for dropping by and reseaching ownership first, I wish more people would do the same, to enable them to make an informed descision.

Back