• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should i bother with a

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
hayrack or not my buns seem happy enough eating it in their loo i was going to get one but my sister says she wouldnt bother

lisa

I would never use a hayrack, having seen how much pleasure my animals get from being able to dig around in a pile for the best bits - they are foraging animals and it's natural behaviour they enjoy :)

I have a pile in his toilet and i also stuff one of those metal hay balls that hangs up so he has to forage high and low. I wouldn't bother with an actual rack unless i could put it right next to the toilet.

I put mine in a hay rack... it takes Barley all of 2 seconds to get it down so it is on the floor! I do also have one of those metal balls with *special* hay in! Also I have a basket in the shed with hay in it... and a toillet roll tube... and the litter tray err... it seems as though I have hay everywhere at the moment :oops:

Hannah

I have small ones I hang over the loo! ... but I wouldnt use that as the only source. I only use them so they have a constant supply of clean hay, not all of them bother using it... Comet likes his, but Valerie loves hers and will eat 3-4 racks full.... though I must admit I've never known such a hay obsessed bun before. :?

I have small ones I hang over the loo! ... but I wouldnt use that as the only source. I only use them so they have a constant supply of clean hay, not all of them bother using it... Comet likes his, but Valerie loves hers and will eat 3-4 racks full.... though I must admit I've never known such a hay obsessed bun before. :?

I do the same, I bought mine from e-bay and they screw onto the hutch, I also put a pile of it in the litter tray as well though.

Ours have hay racks. Our shed buns have some in their trays too but Molly and Faline don't Molly wont use the litter tray if there is hay in it and he is very fussy about eating hay. They can still search through. I think having some at a varied height is interesting for them too. Rabbits would eat leaves off bushes etc wouldn't they?

ours had a hay rack but they were getting it everywhere so i put a little plastic basket underneath to catch the hay. then realised i might as well just use the basket. its cable tied to the crate at an angle because zola weed in it thinking it was his litter tray :roll::roll:

seeing a french lop with his bum perched in a tiny basket was hilarious!!!

I've given up with hayracks mine just have hay in there trays now apart from the 2 in the shed and they just help themselves to the bale :roll:

Mine occasionally eat from their racks but they will foarage too. I usually igve them a large bundle every two days for freshness amd whatever they haven't eaten I use as extra bedding on the ground or on top of the hutch which they sunbathe on. So really, they are wading or swimming in hay. Everywhere they turn there is hay right under their noses. Luckily my lot lap hay up like I do with chocolate :lol:

Back