• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Absess post incisor removal

emjay

Warren Scout
Hi All... I have been reading a few posts on this so apologise if it is another repeat of the same stuff...

Molly has had her incisors removed successfully and her gums are healing well (swabbin twice daily with salty water and baytril once daily) and after 6 days she has had the a clear with her gums...

However...

She has developed a lump under her chin which has turned out to be an absess (ironis since her lower gums have healed the fastest!) ... our vet punctured the area yesterday and removed a lot of puss and I was advised to swab teh area and squeeze twice a day.. but after just 10 hours I had managed to swab once and squeeze before it closed up (as expected but not so soon!!)
She is on an increased dose of baytril which I understand is not the best treatment but vets are tied to this in the first instance.. but hte lump is stil there tho smaller. I am concerned that it may be originating from the lower jaw bone and a second op to remove it... the thing is that she stopped breating in the op to remove her teeth and had to be intubated.. im just cncered that there may be more complications if she has another op. But I also realise that without removal of this absess that ... well it cannot stay, it wont go away...
I am going to book her in tomorrow to see the vet again adn see what we can do.. ideally I want her antibiotics changed and want a plan for how to treat the area.. whether it be an op or moer bone penetrating antibiotics
http://www.mth.kcl.ac.uk/~llandau/Homepage/Rabbit/abscess.html

Any advice would be FAB... She is my baby :cry:

Hi,
our bunny, Jess, has had the same thing happen to her. Her incisors were removed and she then developed an abcsess under her tongue.
The vets removed as much puss as they could and put her on Baytril, they did't give her much chance of surviving. She was on Fibreplex to keep her gut going but she wasn't eating very keenly and her abcsess was hot and large. After discussion with the vets, we put her on Betamox LA (sub cutaneously injected), and as she had an open wound in her mouth, I also fed her manuka honey as it has strong antibiotic properties but it was very messy!
She is still here after about a month and the vets are amazed, she's back outside and the swelling is much smaller and the heat is out of it, so we are very hopeful.
I think a penicillin based antibiotic is the thing that seems to work (betamox is one), you just need to be careful your rabbit doesn't ingest it as it causes severe gut upset. Alot of vets will be wary of using any of these antibiotics as they are not licensed for rabbits, but looking on the forum, more and more seem to be using them. I'm sure there will be folk on the forum with more experience and the best antibiotic to use, my vet used betamox as it was close to hand and it is long acting so only needs to be injected every 2 days.
Hope your bunny is OK!

PS my vets are so impressed they are now using it on another rabbit with an abcsess which won't seem to clear up.

Last edited:
When my boy had his incisors out he developed a swelling under his chin. He was put on a 7 day course of injectable marbocyl.

There is a girl on the forum whos' bun responded very well to metronidazole when he had an abscess in the jaw. Metronidazole is a safe antibiotic to use in buns. Whereas the penicillin based antibiotics can cause very adverse reactions as happened to one of my buns. He developed enterotoxemia and was extremely ill. Metronidazole is effective against anaerobic bacteria, bacteria that doesn't need oxygen to survive.

Injectable antibiotics should be used rather than oral to lessen the effect on the buns digestive system.

I hope your bun is better soon.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Thanks guys :D

Molly went to the vets htis morning for a check up cos im a worrier!!
Our vet was very pleased witht eh progress so far and woudlnt expect the lump to go down completely straight away. We are to keep on with the Baytril for now and go back in next week and keep an eye on it in the meantime. The Baytril is being injected so it hasnt affected her tummy which is good, she seems happy and is eating well (brave bunny)... but i'm not convinced that the Baytril is the best. But my vet has been very good so far and if she is happy with the progress then so am I. She is very interested in buns and knows a lot of stuff (incl alternate treatments for abscesses) btu is happy to continue with the increased does of baytril whilst the lump seems to be smaller and not growing.
Wont be happy until its completely gone tho!! having heard baytril isnt the best for them (vet has said this too but is happy it seems to be doing the job for now) and that absecesses are bad news.

Thanks for input/advice/support as always :D

Back