• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA Homecheckers

SharonR

New Kit
Hi,
I'm about to start my training next week as a volunteer homechecker. Can anybody offer any advice?

Thanks

My advice is really quite simple, as far as the training goes, just be yourself. When it comes to homechecking, trust your instincts and dont give anyone the benefit of the doubt... I met some unbelievable scheming liers who knew every trick in the book and would happily lie through their teeth.

ohh now that a brillant sharon, i know you be great at that job, give a cuddle to sophie and brain for me :wave:
jessica
x

Hi Jess,
Thank you, and thanks again for taking such good care of my two babies at Christmas, I'm still embarrassed for crying so much when I dropped them off:oops: Hope you and all your pets are well! Kisses from Brian and Sophie xxx

aww i got kisses:D dont be embarrassed its nice to find other animal lovers, i went away in january for a week i was such a wreck! where about are you working then? what rescue is it? id love to have that job.
x
jessica

My best advice is to go with your gut feeling and don't feel pressured by the fact homing an animal will free up space (as some places put that kind of pressure on). I only pass one if I would home one of my animals to that person, anything less is not good enough.

My advice is really quite simple, as far as the training goes, just be yourself. When it comes to homechecking, trust your instincts and dont give anyone the benefit of the doubt... I met some unbelievable scheming liers who knew every trick in the book and would happily lie through their teeth.

OMG :shock::(

Hi,
I'm about to start my training next week as a volunteer homechecker. Can anybody offer any advice?

Thanks

Just to say good luck with it :D!
We photograph our Blackpool RSPCA's rabbits and put them on Rabbit Rehome. It only takes us about an hour a week!

Neil

I've PM'd you all the details Jess:)

Thanks for the great advice guys! I have worried that I will be too strict and not let anybody have bunnnies!

My best advice is to go with your gut feeling and don't feel pressured by the fact homing an animal will free up space (as some places put that kind of pressure on). I only pass one if I would home one of my animals to that person, anything less is not good enough.

That's my final criteria as well. If it's not good enough for my precious buns, it's not good enough for anybun:lol:

I understand what everyone is saying but.........

If you want to encourage people to approach rescue centres then I think the centre staff/homecheckers need to go into each situation with a pleasant, open mind and not be judgemental and make assumptions of the person in front of you.

Unfortunatly my experience with one RSPCA staff member was that she was extremely mistrusting and narrow minded and opinionated. I approached then for bunnies and a dog but ended up walking away.

I was told the RSPCA will not let you have a dog 'if you have young children' and 'you can't have a puppy if you have an old dog'. I tried to explain my circumstances but she wasn't interested. I think she made a snap judgement on me.

I live in 3/4 acre, right by woods/countryside, I have a separate area for the dogs, both in the garden and house , when I work (I childmind part time from a separate area of the house so am at home), I already had 2 dogs and my old dog was a complete loony and loved puppies, I have 20 years experience of having dogs and training and competing in trials so was offering a place for a working dog. I went to a breeder and my dogs have a great life.

My older dog is 14 this year and I will be looking for a youngster next year. I'm also thinking about another bunny. Will I approach a rescue? I'm really not sure.

I just get really annoyed when people are so judgemental. Perhaps that is why people prefer breeders/pet shops which is a shame bearing in mind how many rescues are out there.

(This isn't just my opinion but others who have approached the RSPCA)

Linda

Bracken, I wouldnt let your experience put you off going to a rescue again. I imagine a lot of RSPCA staff have seen and heard a lot, and maybe more cautious than most... in the 2 years or so, I worked there voluntarily, I witnessed a horrible amout of cruelty, theft, and lies like you wouldnt believe... its amazing what some people will do to get at animals. :)

Back