• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wax/ear mite advice please! Animed Gosport Vets!

CRBevis

Mama Doe
Hi

Just got back from the vet Animed in Gosport. Took Bunnie to have her nails clipped.

We were annoyed to find the usual vet Robin was not there and his usual cover I think Caroline Coombs (Polish) wasn't there either.

Instead had a man called Mark from New Zealand.

We weren't at all impressed as was in waiting room for an hour and when he cliped her nails he done the back ones by pulling her foot out to the back of her as in out from under her bum :shock: which of course made her fidget and try to pull her leg back in. Our usual vet Robin never does it this way he always moves himself round the table instead of Bunnie, and does it from the side so only has to gently turn foot! This guy didn't seem to want to put him self out and bend or twist!:evil:

She got so stressed!:cry:

Anyway she can sometimes scratch her ears a bit and about 6 months ago when Robin looked in her ears he said just a bit of wax in there.

Anyway tonight this Mark looked and said there is quite a bit of wax and it is flaky which is more than likely ear mites which they can not really do anything about because there is nothing on the market for this in rabbits.

He said if it really irritates her than bring her back and they can only give her some drops for inflammation:?

I verified with him he is saying it flakes and not wax.

So then, wouldn't he be able to see the mites and the flakes being their poo! And wouldn't she be more irritated and her ears inflammed?

Any advice welcomed please or information as to treatment or signs of ear mites being present!

In future we are going to only get an appointment when Robin is there or if Caroline covering him.:lol:

Last edited:
Well Lou at Hopper Haven put a drop of something to kill earmites in Alvins ear cus she suspected he may have some..... havent seen him scratching since... will get him checked next week when he goes for his jabs... so theres deffo summat out there just didnt catch the name of what she used

Well Lou at Hopper Haven put a drop of something to kill earmites in Alvins ear cus she suspected he may have some..... havent seen him scratching since... will get him checked next week when he goes for his jabs... so theres deffo summat out there just didnt catch the name of what she used

Can you ask when you go next please and let me know! We will take her to see our usual vet soon and see if he knows more and says different:)

We have a bun in with ear mites and our vet used xeno 450, which is also used for skin mites. it is a spot on treatment. I questioned it as I'd not encountered it before, but apparently it is used for treating ear mites too. Far easier than putting drops in ears :lol:

We have a bun in with ear mites and our vet used xeno 450, which is also used for skin mites. it is a spot on treatment. I questioned it as I'd not encountered it before, but apparently it is used for treating ear mites too. Far easier than putting drops in ears :lol:

:wave:
And putting that on there skin on back got rid of the ear mites???

If you're unhappy with the advice you can always phone the main centre at Shedfield. I did that before and they were very helpfull :D

Back