• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Whats wrong with my bunny?

Vicki

Alpha Buck
Hello, Lola my female bunny has tonight suddenly changed. I went out with there veg tonight, and ussually she'll run over and go mad for it, tonight she didnt move, so i picked her up and she just sat in my arms for a bit, then looked at her food so i put her down by it but she just ran downstairs. As she moved she seemed quite wobbly and each of her legs were taking seperate steps instead of the ussual 'hopping'. I immediately phoned the vets and took her up there straight away, didnt want to leave it, rather get her checked out.
So we've been to the vets where they've literally checked everything, ears, eyes, teeth, all fine. Felt her tummy, fine, weighed her, ussual weight. Temperature was normal, breathing was a little fast but thats just because she was at the vets! So we put her on the floor to see her hop about, where she just moved slowly and was 'swaying' a bit.
The only thing the vet could come up with was possibly worms as if she has this it could affect the nervous system? So the vet gave her a painkiller injection and has given me some anti biotics - 'Septrin'. She just said to see how she goes, see if she hopefully will improve or if not to take her back saturday.
Im really worried now, my mind is racing with all possible explanations and i just keep thinking the worst, ive been in tears. It was only Monday we had to have our dog put to sleep and now this? Im just so worried, does anyone have any idea at all?

Thanks

did you vet mention putting your bun on a course of Panacur?? Worms are associated with the EC parasite which attacks the nervous system. Panacur is a worming treatment. I think a 6 week course is advised for buns showing signs of EC. i'm not the most experienced person to ask but i wanted to bump this up for you. I hope your bun will be ok

Hi, yes she did say this is what it could be, but has presecribed the anti biotics as a process of elimination. If theres no improvement by saturday she said to go back. She didnt mention a name of what the treatment would be for worms, but they would both have to be treated for it.
You have eased my mind now, as this is what she mainly thought it would be. Ive been imagining all sorts! Im just praying she will improve.

Hi, yes she did say this is what it could be, but has presecribed the anti biotics as a process of elimination. If theres no improvement by saturday she said to go back. She didnt mention a name of what the treatment would be for worms, but they would both have to be treated for it.
You have eased my mind now, as this is what she mainly thought it would be. Ive been imagining all sorts! Im just praying she will improve.

TBH if your Vet suspects EC then treatment with Panacur needs to be started *immediately*
I would advise you to phone the Vet first thing in the morning and suggest your Bun is started on Panacur *straight away*

Janex

TBH if your Vet suspects EC then treatment with Panacur needs to be started *immediately*
I would advise you to phone the Vet first thing in the morning and suggest your Bun is started on Panacur *straight away*

Janex

I totally agree, go in the morning and buy some, you dont need an appointment to buy Panacur.

Right thats what im going to do, ill get the treatment started tommorow, would i be able to give her the antibiotics asswel as the worming treatment?

Back