• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying

Chai Tea

New Kit
I have a 5 month old himalayan dwarf rabbit, who I'm looking into spaying. I am aware of the madjor health risks involving not spaying your rabbit so I would really like to go ahead and get it done. May I ask a few questions? I was wondering first of all what the risks IN spaying are, and if it is common for a rabbit not to pull through. Also, how much does the average vet charge for spaying in Canada? And how long does it normally take for them to recover from the surgery? Is there any particular questions I should be asking the vet before getting it done? Can you recomend a good veterinary clinic in Ontario that will do it?

Thanks so much for your help.

When a rabbit doesn't pull through, it's usually because they have defects in themselves, so a pre-check spay usually erases this worry. It's rare for rabbits not to pull through. It took my rabbits a week to recover FULLY, usually back to normal eating, drinking etc within 3 days. They have to stay indoors for a week to recover.

The risks are because of the general anasthetic, the reason a rabbit wouldn't pull through is because of another condition, like a heart weakness for example.

Here in the UK a spay costs between £40 and £100 depending on the vet and where you live. Don't know if it's similar in canada or not.

Okay, thanks. She seems to be in perfect health. When would you say it's too late to spay? Do they tend to get the cancer later in life, or earlier? Also, when does their temperament start to change?

I have just had my french lop done today she is a bit quiet but eating & drinking fine. Don't worry she will be absolutely fine:D

To get mine spayed in the US cost about $140, so that might be closer to what it would cost in Canada. Mine started to calm down a little a few weeks after her spay.

Okay, thanks. She seems to be in perfect health. When would you say it's too late to spay? Do they tend to get the cancer later in life, or earlier? Also, when does their temperament start to change?

I've had a 7year old doe spayed and she had no signs of any problems, I've had a 2year old spayed and they've removed the beginnings of what they believed to be tumours in her so it really depends on the rabbit. Girlie buns usually start to get the teenager strop at about the age of yours :shock: :lol: I've found with my buns that spaying the girls doesn't alter their character but it takes the moody edge off and they're far more settled and easy going :D

I had Nia done two months ago, We are unsure of her age due to conflicting tales we were told at the point of rescue, however she is somewhere between 2-5. I'm glad I went ahead with the surgery as it was found that her uterus was badly diseased with a tumour covering one uterine horn right down to the cervix. We are hoping that the cancer hasn't spread, but meanwhile are happy that at least she's still with us. Had she not had the op it's unlikely that she'd have survived more than a month or two. It was touch and go during the first part of the op but luckily we have a fantastic vet and he managed to pull her back. It is a personal decision and one that you alone can make, but I know that after Nia's experience I'm pro spaying.:)

Back