• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poorly bunny

Lucy

Warren Veteran
Bit of advise needed please. A 3 year old spayed bun is in a bit of trouble. About 3 weeks ago she felt bloated and had the runs and went off her food. When the vet saw her he put it down to hypothermia which we thought was odd. He gave some fiberplex and she seemed ok. Now it has happened again. She has gone really off it, head nearly in water bowl, has the runs again and is off her food. What is likely to be causing her problems, any ideas? The vets are now closed so she is in for the night and has been started on the fiberplex again.

the fosterer said she couldn't find any runny poo in the hutch but said she can bury it really well. Now she's indoors, it should be easier to see whats being passed.

Last edited:
At this stage I'd treat as an unidentified GI problem, and monitor her closely. If she's got the runs she'll need fluids (probably sub-cut.), pain killers, and probiotics. Gentle tummy massages may help her to pass gas.

The vet will probably take an x-ray or scan to check for blockages. If none are found, they may use motility drugs and advise syringe feeding.

Unfortunately this sometimes 'just happens' in rabbits, and all we can do is try to get them through it. If she recovers (fingers crossed) you'll need to monitor her eating really carefully to see if it's a particular food that's setting her off (e.g. one of mine can't eat broccoli).

Good luck...and vibes for bun.

Amy

is this still the same vets you've had poor advice off in the past? the one who advised carrots for a baby rabbit with enteritis?

At this stage I'd treat as an unidentified GI problem, and monitor her closely. If she's got the runs she'll need fluids (probably sub-cut.), pain killers, and probiotics. Gentle tummy massages may help her to pass gas.

The vet will probably take an x-ray or scan to check for blockages. If none are found, they may use motility drugs and advise syringe feeding.

Unfortunately this sometimes 'just happens' in rabbits, and all we can do is try to get them through it. If she recovers (fingers crossed) you'll need to monitor her eating really carefully to see if it's a particular food that's setting her off (e.g. one of mine can't eat broccoli).

Good luck...and vibes for bun.

Amy

Thats what I thought, some type of GI problem. I have asked the fosterer to tell the vet we want more than fiberplex this time! Depends who you happen to get at the vets as the normal vet can be off sick quite a lot lately which really doesn't help!

Back