• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question about french lop's hearing

niks

Warren Scout
i just wondered if french lops are known to have bad hearing?? mine quite often dont hear me open the door and when they see me get spooked. Jet jumped up onto the worktop and into the sink the other night as he did not hear me come in and i think it made him jump:shock:

French lops hearing can be a little less good as their ears are so big. Try putting your hands over your ears and see how much you hear!:) I do know that as they get older their eyesight is not a s good. I don't know why this is though.

Poppy isn't a french lop but I've noticed her hearing isn't as good as Charlie's, I just assumed it's because their ears cover the ear canal and have the same effect as if we wore ear muffs.

All of our lops hear less than our up eared buns. I wonder if this is why the lops are perceived as being more laid back generally? Ours dont seem to hear us but then just dont care either. :lol::lol:

Maria x

I used to think my dwarf lop Honey was ignoring me or had got the hump, so I took him to the vet for a check up.
At the end of his examination & a lot of banging & crashing to get his attention, she pronounced him as deaf as a post! :D
He'd had no prior problems with his ears, so she thought he must have been born deaf... & boy did he use to his advantage :lol:

The trouble with Poppy is she is quite fluffy for a short haired bun, even on her face so she has to look at us sideways to see us properly.

thought they were a bit hard of hearing because their ears hang down! just wondered if anyone else noticed this too

I must admit for a time I thought my frenchie was deaf - particularly the first November we had her and all the fireworks were going off - she didn't appear to hear anything.
I've now realised she has quite selective hearing. She can hear the rattle of food from 20 metres away, but strangely can't hear me when it's time to go in for bed:roll::roll::lol:

Totally agree, although no Frenchie, Bob is the only lop I've ever owned and his hearing is no where near as good as the others. Sometimes he doesnt hear me walk in the room, and if he's sleeping and I call him, he still doesnt hear me, then and I put food down and he jumps like a startled, deaf, little old man, always makes me laugh bless him. :)

Back