• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on indoor habitats wanted

lilacbunny

New Kit
I used to have Ferplast cage for my previous rabbits - the biggest I could get at the time, but I want something much bigger this time round. Are there any decent sized indoor cages on the market (I haven't been able to find anything suitable in my searches so far). I did think a big dog crate might work - although I really want something taller so I could create different levels.

I'm coming to the conclusion I might need to build something myself... I saw a lovely condo on the web made from Slemka type metal storage cubes, which had three "floors".

Any advice gratefully received!

Not much you can buy really except dog crates or an outdoor hutch.

I made my bunnies cage with slemcka cubes, works brillaintly plus I designed it to find around other bits of furniture to make the best use of space.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=113470

That's what I built, though it's changed since the bunnies moved in, much messier now! Good thing is I can extend it if needs be or re-design it if we move house to fit a different space.

Thanks - I love what you have done there - shame I don't have any interesting corners to build into! Although you have got me thinking about that space under the stairs - just need to work out where to put the hoover et al!

I also have an NIC cage, wouldn't go any other way now. :D

Mines a bit different to this now too, better flooring, etc, but it's the same shape.

002.jpg

004.jpg

016.jpg

011.jpg

008.jpg

Here are some pics as promised.....

DSC00040WinCE.jpg

the box inside is smthn else I made, it opens at the side so i can empty and add mroe hay etc.. and they can hide away if they want to.. was a feat to make!! lol
DSC00038WinCE.jpg

Molly wondering what i'm up to....
DSC00037WinCE.jpg

They arent great piccies, camera phoen is a bit poo, but you get the gist.
I have lobster clips (keyrings) holding up the door so you cant see that part, but the base front folds down and I tuck in the door flap and then close up the base front.. all very clever as an idea but never works as planned, but it does work and they have a good space, well apart from the rest of the living room!! :lol:

Last edited:
A 48" dog crate is plenty big enough for 2 floors isn't it - they are really tall (mine are just 36" and they're sideboard height)

Back