• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice From Those With Experience of a Bun With 'Floppy Rabbit Syndrome' Please

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Eddie, a 2.5 year old Rex, became acutely ill this afternoon. I found him staggering around as if drunk. He did not have a head-tilt and he was not 'floppy' as such, just completely unco-ordinated and quite unresponsive.

I have never had a Rabbit with FRS before and as I understand it they go completely 'limp' and cannot even lift up their head. Eddie was not like that but the odd thing is that as rapid as he became 'ill' he *appears* to have recovered The only treatment that could have worked so fast ( within about an hour of administering it) would be the Potassium Hydrochloride in the Hartmanns I gave him sub-cut. The other things given were Baytril, Metacam, Metoclop and Panacur (OK'd by Christabel)

Do you think Eddie's symptoms and apparent rapid recovery sound like FRS ?

Janex

Hi Jane,

Don't know if this will be any help, But my first thought is that it could be a seizure. Which would explain the quick recovery.

Seizures are all very different and the symptoms you describe could easily fit into that category.

I've had a number of different rabbits who suffered from seizures and only one had the classic falling on the side shaking thing.

A rabbit I had named Tigger suffered from fits which i can only describe as absences. He was completely unresponsive to me during these episodes and if you didn't know what you were looking for could easily miss them. He also went off his food for an hour or so afterwards.

He had ecuniculi, but didn't respond to treatment ( his age was unknown as was a rescue) and eventually was put to sleep when his episodes became more prolonged. I always said it was like having a rabbit with alzheimers.

I have also worked with children with epilepsy and I know a few who had symptoms that I would describe as " appearing drunk" when fitting.

I don't know if that helps at all, but I would suggest testing him for ecuniculi

Hi Jane

My bunny Humphrey (he was only a baby) died of apparent FRS. This is what my vet concluded when I took him, he became weak very quickly and within a few hours couldn't even lift his head. He unfortunately died in my arms the next morning after a night of critical care. I have however heard of a bunny making a very speedy recovery from FRS within a few hours. But I think its usual that it takes 2/3 days to recover?

Vibes for little bunny! x

In my experience of FRS rabbits they dont tend to recover within a few hours but rather over 2-3 days. When in a complete 'relapse' they are totally limp and have no control of any movement at all. They cannot move their heads or limbs and defecate on themselves.

The only sign they are alive is the twitching of their nose. The worst part is they are totally lucid throughout, it does not appear to affect their levels of consciousness and self-awareness.

I personally think Eddies symptoms sound like a seizure. Obviously as you found him 'drunk' you would have been unaware if this had happened.

Is Eddie anywhere near your lionhead who had a 'fit' the other day?

Is Eddie anywhere near your lionhead who had a 'fit' the other day?

Yes, the same room :?

Christabel does *not* believe EC is involved in either Felicity or Eddie's symptoms :?
With Eddie I am totally confused as on examination when he appeared 'drunk' he really did not seem to be like other Buns I have had that have suffered from seizures :? One Bun, Billie, had numerous seizures a day........for 7 years :shock: Billie passed away in his sleep *but* he went just like Eddie was today about 8 hours before he died :? :cry:

I can honestly say I have never seen anything like Eddie's symptoms before except for Billie, but Billie never showed the rapid recovery,which is what made me think about FRS. I have had several 'seizure prone' Buns but have never had on with FRS

:?

Janex

My rex Monty has FRS. This is my experience of it...

I went to feed him one morning when he was around 6 months old and to my horror found him collapsed in his hutch. I could tell my vet nothing. I said "I just found him like this. He was out in his run the day before, it was sunny but not hot. He got brought in at around 9pm, put in his hutch and covered up. He can't get to plants in his run, we never use stuff on our garden anyway, nothing painted and no contact with other rabbits, plus he'll happily chase of cats." My vet said that he was so ill the best form of action was to work out what we did know -

His temperature was 97'C !!!! (A normal rabbit is 103-104'C)
He was unconscious.
He had no feeling in his body anywhere. If she pinced his feet he did nothing. If she pinched his toes he did move a little though but that was all.

My vet said the best theory was shock...Maybe from being in a sunny run and then because it was early summer the temperature had dropped quite a bit in the night. This seemed to be the most logical answer.
Of course he was admitted and had intensive care of force feeding, warmth, and was given steriods and baytril injections plus fluids every day. He couldn't even urinate on his own. The nurses were having to press on his bladder daily. Nothing happened for FOUR days...

Everytime I rang the vet and they said "no change" I felt my heart sink. You can imagine I felt very cruel and was contemplating putting him to sleep to end this but then something stopped me. Rabbits as we all know succumb to disease pretty quickly and don't tend to fight it. The fact he was hanging on made me talk myself out of this idea. Rightly or wrongly I refused to put him to sleep until I was 100% sure there was no chance of recovery. On the fifth day I rang the vets to see how he was, with heart in my mouth. The nurse replied "Hes sat up this morning. Hes urinating on his own." I nearly fell over. I was so shocked I asked her to double check we were talking about the same rabbit. I said "Monty, a blue rex?" And she said "Yes. He literally just suddenly got the feeling back in his legs. " His recovery was fast. I rang the next day and he was pooing and weeing on his own, feeding himself and generally back to normal. They said he was well enough for me to take him home but to watch out for some "little fits" he'd had. On the way home in the car he had one of these fits. He didn't loose his balance or become spaced out. He just shook, like a shiver and that was it. I never saw it happen again....

Until 4 YEARS LATER....
I'd got him out for his usual run round the yard and remember thinking he felt a bit floppy but put it down to me being paranoid. Well thank god for paranoia. I checked on his regularly and found he was not really using a back leg. Not dragging it, just not using it. I assumed he'd probably sprained it, while playing with his new friend, my new lionhead. I'd just managed to bond them and this was their first day out together actually interacting with each other. Up until then Monty had been very coy. So I put him back in his hutch to rest it. He happily jumped in his litter tray so this confirmed what I thought. Just a sprain. I went out to check on him around 4 times that evening and he was fine.

At half 6 I went to check on him again, for the millionth time and found him on his side, awake but limp. He was rushed to the emergency vet. Luckily my vet, Fiona was still there. I said "this has happened before. " She agreed whatever it was was the same thing happening again, but that I'd caught it early this time. This time his temperature was 100'C. He was able to sit up if aided. This time she let me bring him home and care for him and just like before there wasn't really much change for 4 days. However, he was eating, drinking and pooing on his own without problems. He could urinate on his own but the vet showed me how to help him out and told me to just press lightly every few hours just to check he wasn't in any discomfort. Again, on day four I pinched his legs and he'd got the feeling back. Later that night he sat up. I watched in amazement as like a new born foal he just regained use of his legs. Then by day 5 he had regained all feeling in his body. He was a little unstable, almost drunk but it did not faze him. Throughtout the week he has had these little fits the vet nurse described last time. I would not describe them as fits but more as spasms. His body jolts but he doesn't fall on his side or roll over or anything like that. He doesn't space out either. His heart races before, so loud I can hear it but then onces hes had the fit it regains normal speed. In my opinion I feel its caused by the muscles "waking up " again. First he could lift his head up again, then his neck, then his back legs and then last to come back was his front paws. All within the space of a few hours.

This is taken from my book of Rabbit Textbook Medicine by Frances Harcourt-Brown...

Quote:
"Floppy Rabbit Syndrome" is the colloqiual term for an idiopathic condition that affects pet rabbits causing generalized muscular weakness. The cause is not known, although several possibilities exist. These include, hypokalaemia and plant toxicity, or neurological, metabolic or muscular causes, which could be infectious, metabolic, congenital or nutritional in origin. A feature of this condition is the recovery that can take place. It is important to recognize the good prognosis and not euthanase rabbits in the initial stages. Interestingly, recovery usually takes place within 2-3 days, whatever treatment is perscribed. Supportive care, especially assisted feeding is required.

This is his condition down to the last T.
A vet I spoke to had seen ten or so previous cases of FRS and maybe coincidentally but all in REXES. Monty is perscribed Baytril, dexadesren, steriods and Panacur (in case related to E.Cuniculi) but the second time did not need fluids.

Last edited:
I have had 2 silver fox's that have had FRS. Both took 2-3 days to recover.
They can just not move, but can still do the toilet. So I just syrindge fed and gave fluids till they were better.

This was 7years ago and have never came across it since.

Nemo had this . found him floppy in his hutch . brought him in ...warmed him ...gave him fluids ....and hey presto back to normal within an hour ...:shock:

coincidently ...that was when he moved inside permenantly :rolleyes::rolleyes:

wild bun sweetpea also did this . completly floppy , almost lifeless . Gain warmed her up , gave fluids ...and this time tomato juice and she was back to normal in less than an hour . :shock:

not sure about your bun ....doesnt sound quite the same :?

Personally I wouldn't rule out E cuniculi without getting bloods done, as this can also be a cause of Floppy Rabbit Syndrome.

However all the literature I have read about this condition states that it does take several days to recover.

The only thing that I can think of that would lead to such a quick recovery is seizures, whatever their cause.

I hope Eddie is still doing ok

Liz

Well Eddie appears to be OK now. I really am leaning toward the very early stage of FRS (is such a thing exists) as his recovery after 30ml sub-cut Hartmans was quite miraculous. Perhaps FRS takes longer to resolve if it is 'full blown' so to speak :?

I have nusred Buns with EC and seen many of the neurological effects it causes. Eddie's really was nothing like them. He and his companion will remain on a 6 week course of Fenbendazole anyway.

Lea-Anne thank you for all your information. I swear Rexes are more prone to obscure illnesses :?

Janex :)

I thought I should add that my FRS bunny had Selenium deficiency NOT Potassium deficiency.

He has to have a Vitamin E capsule once a fortnight.

Back