• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My pledge to Myrtle

ailz

Alpha Buck
All this to do with Myrtle - and many other rabbits - is why I only have 2. I have room for more and would love to have a house full. Every time I see a rabbit on preloved, free ads or freecycle, I want to take it and give it a good home. My rabbits are so independent and spend all their time with one another and ignore us humans, so I'd love a rabbit to cuddle etc as so many have.

But...

I live on a very fixed budget. I can give my two rabbits a good standard of care. There's no question about vaccinations, vets visits - they may not have many toys, compared to some - but they are looked after. I know that if I got any more and anything went wrong with them, I might not be able to afford it.

So I'm going to pledge to Myrtle, and, as much as I want to, not get more pets than I can afford.

They are my thoughts exactly ( although I do have rather more than 2:) )

I can't see the point of doing something if you are not going to do it properly, where is the pleasure in that

I am the same I would love more but can't afford them. I do my fostering and luckily Sooz pays the vets bills for that. That is how i contribute to more buns. I could not afford the vaccinations for any more of my own :(

Exactly how I feel, and exactly why I don't read the threads about the poor bunnies needing homes, or look in RIN any more.

I love my bunnies, cat and guinea pigs more than anything in the world, and would do anything for them, but I know that any more and they might start to suffer. I know that now they are well fed and any vet bills can be paid, and I can give each of them enough time not to feel they're missing out.

I very much admire anyone who can take more in, but I know my own limits.

awww thats a lovely pledge... more pets is out of the question for me, its more to do with space and time rather than lack of essential funds, theres always money out there im amazed that people would rather smoke/drink/eat luxuries etc than provide basic care for an animal :(
i do not have space or the experience to foster for rescues, i do not look at freeads so i keep the fact i have a sponser bun in my life to tell me im doing my tiny little bit to help the helpless...i will also never ever ever give up an animal i take on and burden further already stretched rescues....

i would like to make the same pledge to Myrtles memory... no animal will ever suffer by my hand.

This is lovely.

I can afford my bunnies and all basic vet bills.

I do sometimes worry say if 3 got very sick all at one time, I have a credit card but I would not be able to pay cash for 3 large vets bills.

I wouldn't have any more animals than what I have now. My dog is insured so I am fine with him but it is not beneficial to get 6 bunnies insured as my monthly outgoings would be huge! I just take the risk with them :oops:

As much as we would love to take on more rabbits,we feel three is enough-two outdoor ones(binkying around the garden as I type!!:D) and one indoor house rabbit-we cannot devote ourselves financially and emotionally to any more.........although if we are ever in a position to,we would love to set up a rescue centre and rabbit hotel as we have trouble finding people around us who we could trust with our warren.

Our pledge to you Myrtle is to never cause sufferering and to help other rabbits(and rabbit owners) in their time of need.;)

I think that for people that love bunnies and want to help out, it would be great to go for fostering instead of adopting so vets bills aren't an issue. That way you still get to help out bunnies but not put any extra financial burden on yourself :D

It's a good pledge and I think people should realise what their limits are, I couldn't have any more because I don't think I could spend enough time with them, especially when I've graduated and will be working full-time. Although I'd love to take in more its just not realistic so I will help in other ways, give my two a great life and not take on more than I can cope with. :D

This is exactly why i have decided i would like to foster.....

I really want to do more to help but i just cant afford the extra cost of more pets myself........ already this month i have the cat AND dog having their vaccinations, Marley having his vaccs and being de-plummed, and Dexters huge vet bills!:roll:

That's a great pledge. I would love two more rabbits and I think I will, unless we finally agree as a family to get a dog - and then I will stick with the two buns.

On behalf of some of us that have more than 2 or 3 or even 4 , I would like to just say that for some of us who are lucky and can adjust our lifestyles and homes etc and have supportive partners (who love them as much as I do) it is possible to have lots and love and care for them all (all 11 of them in my case). And I do assure you that all of mine are individually loved, fed, vaccinated, veted, and given wonderful cages and runs and lawn time etc.

As I type Steve (partner) has just put Teasal and Robinia to bed in the dining rm/conservatory they like to spend the night in; given Sweet Pea his night time Panacur for today in his outdoor run/hutch; checked Willow is still feeling fine after her major op; and Steve is now upstairs in bed with Parsley . . . who loves him . . . until its time for Parsley to come back down to his indoor cage with Peaches.

Needless to say we also fed/watered/ and gave extra grass to all the others when it was their bedtimes too!

So not all multi-bun households are bad!

Definately agree with this. As awful as it is seeing Rhia on her own, it would be even more awful to have rabbits I couldnt afford. I'm completely broke at the moment, and until I have a job there will be no more babbits here :(

the irony of my situation is I don't have a car, so I can afford to care for all my animals well, but not having a car, I can't get them to a vets unless it's an emergency (FYI I live in a village with 3 buses a day, and have 24 hour care of an autistic child with dog phobia - so I have to arrange childcare to go to the vets)

I've considered getting a car, but then they would starve, or be fed on a sub-standard diet :roll: So you could say I've exceeded my limits by having even one rabbit - in which case where would they be now? Still stuck in rescue, where they were unvaccinated, unspayed, and never got out of their hutch - or in the case of the piggies, dead I should think, having been used as breeders for a couple of years.

So when you look at it like that, they are better off with me than they would have been had I decided I couldn't offer them proper care without a car - it's a conundrum :? They certainly seem to be enjoying life anyway, which was my aim when I took them on :)

Back