• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - U/D Friday: opinions greatly appreciated

Becca6

Mama Doe
Is it normal, once a pair of buns have become bonded and been living together (day six today) for the grooming to slow down? All week T has been grooming Bell loads - sometimes she's gone up to him and demanded it, sometimes he's gone to her - sometimes they've kind of met head on, both have bowed down until T has groomed her, and other times he's just gone and groomed her. After not seeing him trying to hump her for a few days yesterday he seemed quite frisky with her, and she either put up with it for a few minutes or went off to a different part of their cages.

They ate their breakfast side by side this morning, and both still seem happy and relaxed with each other, but whereas for the last few days T has been following Bell round like her shadow, this morning they've both been pottering about in different rooms, and when T's gone towards Bell she's hopped off (they were only out for about an hour and maybe they've been cuddled up grooming all night). No sign of any unhappiness or aggression, and they've gone back into their cages very happily together, sat next to each other waiting for their papaya treat, and I left them to it.

Am I just panicking because this is all still so new to me and I still can't believe it's happened with their previous history? Or do they settle down like this? Last night because T was being frisky :)shock:) I didn't let them have much time out of their cages as the bond is still so new, thinking it was better to keep them in a more confined area. When I did let them out they had a wonderful time together. T follows her everywhere. Sometimes she jumps on top of the cat carrier or cat scratching post to have a five minute break, and he sits underneath looking up at her adoringly.

I'm still waiting for this to all go horribly wrong because I thought they were destined to be apart. There has been absolutely no aggression from either of them.

Last edited:
well I know nothing about bonding of course :oops: but I think you are right to worry endlessly over this - Sod's law decrees that the minute you relax, they will lay into each other - so keep worrying! :lol:

Anyone got any thoughts, or is it healthy to keep worrying as it will keep me on my toes with them :lol: :lol:

Sounds fine, no need to worry IMO, all sounds good. If they were going to hurt each other they would have done so by now.

I've found even very happily bonded bunnies have the odd little scraps- Audrey never stopped humping Rowan to show him who was boss.

Sounds like they may be more comfortable with the pecking order. If they aren't trying to demand grooming as much then that to me says that they feel more relaxed about their place in society and so don't need to constantly be reassured.

But then I'm no expert. :lol:

Normal or am I panicking for nothing?

Bell and T have now been together for nearly eight days and in the last few days T has been constantly humping Bell :roll: Yesterday and today Bell has tried to hump T, but as he's so tiny she just can't get on him :shock: There's been no aggression at all, and Bell sometimes just lays there and lets him get on with it, and others she'll hop off. I've not seen a lot of grooming, but they both seem relaxed, and although I'm still limiting their time out of their cage, when they are out most of the time they're choosing to be in the same room.

Is this all normal or is spring fever playing a part, or am I just being completely daft because the longer they're together the more I'm loving it, but am still waiting for it all to kick off?

Bell's taking a break from him right now - she's on the cat scratching post.

Last edited:
I think its spring fever Becca. Rory has been humping Lola pretty consistently for nearly a week now although he is starting to let up. She is being very tolerant of him so if they are OK with each other try to stop worrying.

BTW Saw your Dad & Oscar tonight :wave:

i find bonded buns very interesting because mine r SO different!

pair 1: domino and pebbles, together 24/7 always grooming each other, equally

pair 2: together some of the time, cudde up to each other, dont see much grooming, but all of it is jelly, peanut only groomed her when she was sick!

yet both pairs r very happy! each bonded pair is different

Back