• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Watery eyes

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Can anyone tell me what causes watery eyes? bailey has misaligned bottom teeth, but they are not overgrown, and he eats tonnes - proper hay fiend. byt he has a watery eye. only one mind.

x

I've had this same problem with my Merrybunny - only both his eyes were watering. From what my vets (and people on the forum) have said it could be one of three things:

1) an infection
2) a blocked tear duct - this would need flushing out
3) his teeth roots are overgrown blocking his tear ducts. this could be very serious, but can only be checked with an x-ray, which of course has it's own risks.

Since it's only one eye, I'd think 1 or 2 are most likely. Best thing would be to take him to the vet who'll probably try him on some antibiotics as a first step.

I tried a couple of courses of antibiotics with Merry. Then recently we tried flushing his eyes and another course of antibiotics. his eyes have improved a lot, so I'm hoping that with another flushing/antibiotics course he'll be fully cured.

Back