• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is Pure Dried Grass ok to feed as 20% fibre?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

My girls loved their Pure Dried Grass sample in their sample pack and I think it's a clear winner. I was wondering if it's ok to feed as a hay/grass that can be fed as much as something like Timothy Hay? Can it be fed daily and in large amounts?

Hiya

My girls loved their Pure Dried Grass sample in their sample pack and I think it's a clear winner. I was wondering if it's ok to feed as a hay/grass that can be fed as much as something like Timothy Hay? Can it be fed daily and in large amounts?

I did this and ended up with excess soft poo's, the protein (i think) is really high in pure dried grass, so it's probably best keeping it for a treat or mix it with their usual hay, that's what i do now. :)

I give a bowl of ready grass to Stu every day as I am trying to wear his molars down so he won't have to have an op! Touch wood he's been fine on it and no soft poo's. The girls have a little bit each day but not very much and I give them less pellets.

Carlton goes WILD for pure dried grass.... only problem is, it gives his poops a strong aroma of onion... phhhhewwweeee!!! i'm certainly going to be cutting back the amount he eats, i have to warn people if they come over, haha!

The main part of their hay content is Meadow hay. The Timothy Hay is sort of variety and added fibre. They have gone off Timothy Hay and they liked both Brome Hay and Dried Grass, so would it be ok to give them 50/50 of each with Meadow hay? Like 80% meadow hay and 10% dried grass and 10% Brome hay? Or is it ok to just have 20% dried grass as Brome hay is sooooooooooo expensive and I'm having problems with my finance?

I think 20% dired grass should be ok. Mine are on about 20% ready grass and 80% stalk/soft from the dust free hay company. If you have enough money to bulk buy those two are workth looking at. Ready grass can be got from horse food suppliers (Have a look on Yell.com) and is about £12 for 15kg. The normal hay from DFHC is about £2 a kilo if you order 10 bales and it is nice (just got my first order yesterday and even my fussy bun likes it)

Bobbin has a small bowl of dried grass each night after his dinner, it just gives him some variety to munch on together with his normal Timothy Hay during the night. A small bowl probably constitutes as 15-20% and he does not have excess poops.

I don't see why not if its for two buns, maybe put a bit of meadow hay in the hay ball too thought, I got sick of unclipping the hayball and ended up just sticking it in a bowl, now I feel bad and will fill it back up for them :oops:. If its the friendly pure dried grass then I think they're putting more in the bags at the moment, I ordered two bags this week and they are packed really full

Back