• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

removed incisors - smelly mouth... help?

buddabun

Warren Veteran
does anyone have any advice for me? as you may or may not know jack had her incisors removed last friday and is doing ok... eating pellets but not a lot else.

anyway, when we went to the vets i mentioned her eye had an inflamed membrane and was smelling/weeping a bit.

he gave her a jab of some antibiotics and told me the smell was normal (as the teeth roots go so deep and need to heal from the back forwards, if that makes sense).

but i cuddled her today and she smells AWFUL. i had a tentative look and her upper teeth-holes (if that makes sense) had lots of white deposits in and around the hole. it looks a bit like plaque maybe? but i dont see how it could be

now what can I do? she obviously has had some food up there which has gone off a bit. the vet says this is normal but she must have an awful taste in her mouth and it can't be good for her to have all that gunk floating around. I couldnt get to look at her bottom lot as she was getting stressed and i couldnt find them

can anyone give me ANY advice here? my vet has never steered me wrong before but i am growing increasingly worried about little Jack. plus the febreeze does not work :lol:

help?

It sounds like it could be an infection but I'm no expert. I can't think why else it would smell bad (same thing with infected bunny ears - they smell bad). I'd go back to the vet for a check-up and see what they say.

Helen

I would get that checked out Helen, it sound suspisciously like an nfection setting in. If not then its one waiting to happen.

Inca had a couple of small stitches put in to help the holes heal faster and they seemed to do the trick.

Pierrre had somthing similar when he had his removed. the vet said it was an infection at the site of removal probably from a piece of food. he expressed all the pus and put pierre on anti biotics.
don't let the vet try to fob you off insist on as proper examination.

Hi :wave:

Some vets recommend putting a couple of stitches in the holes so that they heal quicker and food doesn't become lodged inside the holes. Also it is often recommended to administer a 7 day course of antibitiotics to reduce the risk of developing an infection. It is very easy for a bun to develop an infection after incisor removal as the holes are so deep and exposed.

If there is an infection in the sockets I'm not sure whether they would sew them up until the infection had been treated?

Was your bun prescribed antibiotics after her incisor removal?

Nicola and Harvey xxx

thanks guys!

she was given a shot on the day of the op (friday) and then another on monday.

i did feel a bit fobbed off as the smell is quite obvious even before you open her mouth. i told him i thought maybe it was a bit infected and he said he was happy with how she was coming along... and that food would get trapped up there and decompose and that's what smells (well DUH im not thick but decomposing food causes infections!)

he told me it would obviously take a while for the holes to heal up which i understand but surely she should not be smelling thsi bad!

the membrane of her right eye is still a bit inflamed and weepy. he said that was probably due to her being bashed about during the op but i think it's connected to the teeth infection...

i know this vet must know his stuff but i dont want jack to be suffering as it cant be nice for her...

BTW it's not pus as such, it's more like a sort of coating, like you get if you dont brush your teeth for ages. not hard like plaque but creamy coloured... she looks like she just needs a tooth brush :(

I'm not sure if it can translate from human's to buns :? but I was recently looking up stuff online about treatment for a burnt mouth (blooming cheese sauce) and it said if little white spots appear to seek medical assistance because it indicates an infection

I'd see another vet personally, if there isnt one at the same practice, go elsewhere.... the feeling you've been 'fobbed off' is horrible, and not something you want to feel regarding your pets health. Good luck, hope she gets/smells better soon. :)

:wave:

Hiya there... Molly had her incisors out on thursday of last week and she was given 6 days of antibiotics (which I inject) and I have been swabing her gums twice a day with cool salty water. Molly also has the white stuff you are talkgin about but that is normal (3 vet visits all saying the same) and I can see that her gums are healing. The white stuff is the dead skin like we get if we soak a scab for ages adn it goes all soggy :)?).... BUT... the smell is not right. I have consciously smelt Molly's mouth each time to just check and there is no smell.
She has now deveoped an abscess under her chin which may be from the root but no smell still in the mouth. Hopefully (keeping everythign crossed!!) we can deal with this..

I would suggest going back to your vets and asking for the area to be flushed to clean out any debris... bun wounds do heal from the inside out and are preferrably kept open so that no infection can take root... i'd personally find a good rabbit savvy vet tho, and in the meantime swab the gums with salty water and a cotton/gauze pad. Molly will fight me to get this done but it is has to be done.. I find wrapping her tight in a towel does the trick ;)
I was told by my vet to swab twice a day and to check for debris... now 6 days on and I can cut down to once a day or even just a visual check

Lots of happy healthy vibes to Jack :D

Hi

When one of my Rabbits had his incisors out he was on antibiotics for a few days and when he came home. There was no smell, and I wouldn't of thought they should be one.
This sounds like pus, for my Rabbit got an infection and had to go back and was given antibiotics.
I would try and get a second opinion if your not happy.

Jaye

Hiya there... Molly had her incisors out on thursday of last week and she was given 6 days of antibiotics (which I inject) and I have been swabing her gums twice a day with cool salty water. Molly also has the white stuff you are talkgin about but that is normal (3 vet visits all saying the same) and I can see that her gums are healing. The white stuff is the dead skin like we get if we soak a scab for ages adn it goes all soggy :)?).... BUT... the smell is not right. I have consciously smelt Molly's mouth each time to just check and there is no smell.
She has now deveoped an abscess under her chin which may be from the root but no smell still in the mouth. Hopefully (keeping everythign crossed!!) we can deal with this..

I would suggest going back to your vets and asking for the area to be flushed to clean out any debris... bun wounds do heal from the inside out and are preferrably kept open so that no infection can take root... i'd personally find a good rabbit savvy vet tho, and in the meantime swab the gums with salty water and a cotton/gauze pad. Molly will fight me to get this done but it is has to be done.. I find wrapping her tight in a towel does the trick ;)
I was told by my vet to swab twice a day and to check for debris... now 6 days on and I can cut down to once a day or even just a visual check

Lots of happy healthy vibes to Jack :D

thanks, have just been reading your thread as well.

I will definitely try and give her a swab tonight and get an appointment ASAP tomorrow. I am worried and for him to say it is normal when she smells like that makes me feel like I'm being fobbed off. I may try a different vet's practice just to see what they say (mine are incredibly expensive and I thought this was due to excellent service but judging by my last visit they are not veyr owner-friendly)...

will keep you updated. Thanks for all the advice guys

Well good luck with the swabbing, it worth it even just to have a look and see how things are doing each day. I had a look at her gums at the vets when I brought her home so that I had a frame of reference for what they looked like... wish i'd got my o/h to take pics as we went along now cos it owudl really have been useful for me see at the tiem to know what to expect.

As for price... I paid £128 for the procedure (incl meds post op and post op check).. and so far everything has been included in that price adn I think that is how it should be.. the majority of the price intially is the op and GA etc... btu follow up meds and consults should be included.

For the record your vet is right in saying that the op is not 'gentle' but thats only since they have to kill the stem cells to ensure that the tooth root doesnt grow back btu that will make it sore only and nothing else...

How is she in herself? Eating ok and poing etc? seem happy?

Good luck with finding an alternate vet for little Jack... anyone from the same area as buddabun who can advise a bunny savvy vet????

Back