• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing Suggestions & Help needed

Cob-Web

Warren Scout
I am trying to decide how best to line/protect the inside of Flops and Tops hutch now that they have 24 access to the run.

They are not litter trained (I'm trying hard), and at present they pee/poo mainly in the hutch :roll: I line it with newspaper, but they often pull this out into the run, and/or shred it (despite me providing lots of other paper/card to shred) and this leaves them peeing straight onto the wood of the hutch :evil: I am cleaning the hutch and changing and replacing the paper morning and evening, but there are patches of the hutch that are starting to be permanently damp; and although I can wash and leave to air dry twice or three times a week, its just not practical to do it if the weather is horrid :?

Although we will only need it for a few more months, I am worried the constant damp will damage the hutch and it can't be good for the buns, either.

I have put a "wanted" advert on my local Freecycle for some offcuts of lino; does anyone have any other suggestions?

hi there in wilkinsons you can get packs of 6 adhesive lino tiles for like £1.99 covers 1m sq these are easy to wipe down and they are squares which you could cut to size. or why not get some plastic sheeting try a builders merchant see if they have anything they dont want? also you can try litter training them? lol im sure this has been tried already! but thought wud mention it. um oh yes try putting a lining of something more absorbant down first lite wood pellet cat litter? that way it doesnt get as damp?can cover it with the newspaper too it must be the woodbased stuff tho. good luck

Cardboard (like the supermarket boxes)?

my rabbits are litter trained (well, they choose their spot and I placed a tray there - in the run under the hutch), but now and again one or the other - not sure who - does a wee in a corner of the hutch.

Thick cardboard in addition to very thick layers of newpapers does protect the hutch. In fact, the whole hutch is lined with cardboard to insulate during the winter.

hi there in wilkinsons you can get packs of 6 adhesive lino tiles for like £1.99 covers 1m sq these are easy to wipe down and they are squares which you could cut to size. or why not get some plastic sheeting try a builders merchant see if they have anything they dont want? also you can try litter training them? lol im sure this has been tried already! but thought wud mention it. um oh yes try putting a lining of something more absorbant down first lite wood pellet cat litter? that way it doesnt get as damp?can cover it with the newspaper too it must be the woodbased stuff tho. good luck
I got the adhesive lino tiles from B&Q for £1.99 they are ace:D:D

have you tried putting big underbed storage boxes in the hutch? they also like to have one clean for a bed, and one for a toilet, and hay in both. I've got 5 unspayed girls and they're litter trained using this method, although I did have to squeeze a kitten litter tray in (no hay, just a handful of litter) next to Maa's big storage box, as she insisted on using the floor - now there's no floor left, she's forced to pee in a tray :D

Excellent suggestions; thanks :D

I have several cardboard fruit boxes in the shed, so I'll use those to line the hutch and I'll pop up to B & Q at the weekend for some lino-tiles ;)

I do have a litter tray in the hutch - I put it in the place they usually pee - but they keep changing their spot and peeing the other end :roll: Perhaps I'll pick up another tray at the weekend too; and hope they keep one clean and use the other :roll:

You could varnish the floor of the hutch with exterior or yacht varnish. I use varnish instead of lino for hutches that are a funny shape (because I'm not very good at cutting lino to fit).

I wouldn't advise it if your rabbits are compulsive wood chewers though.

Amy

Excellent suggestions; thanks :D

I have several cardboard fruit boxes in the shed, so I'll use those to line the hutch and I'll pop up to B & Q at the weekend for some lino-tiles ;)

I do have a litter tray in the hutch - I put it in the place they usually pee - but they keep changing their spot and peeing the other end :roll: Perhaps I'll pick up another tray at the weekend too; and hope they keep one clean and use the other :roll:

I often end up with 3 or 4 litter trays in my hutches with rabbits who have just newly come into rescue. Until they have worked out their toilet area I leave all of them and then slowly remove the ones they dont use. Having one and moving it when they go else where I find does not work.

I often end up with 3 or 4 litter trays in my hutches with rabbits who have just newly come into rescue. Until they have worked out their toilet area I leave all of them and then slowly remove the ones they dont use. Having one and moving it when they go else where I find does not work.

That explains it, Thank you ;)

I also had 3 litter trays in Paula & Trevor's hutch at one point. Now they just have 2 but really one is most used - in their bedding area - the other for hay. At one point I was washing vetbed and layers of towels and other bedding on a daily basis, it got silly and I just thought - ok they're going to wee in their bedroom whatever, so let's just put a try in there. Now I change it about twice a week and it's fine. Lino is also a good idea!

Helen

Back