• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A dilemma

Bindi

Warren Scout
(Sorry if I've put this in the wrong place again...)

Until recently, I had two rabbits, Bandit (6) and Sealy (4). Sealy died February 16th and Bandit has been grieving like mad since. She isn't herself at all. I know my rabbits well and Bandit is miserable and lonely. I've just been offered another rabbit from a rescue centre (I can pay when I can afford it). The problem- what if the new rabbit needs to go to the vets? I've put this problem back to the rescue centre. Sealy's final vet bills bankrupted me and I haven't yet managed to get a job (I have a careers interview next week and we'll see how that goes). I'm not going to rush into this, but Bandit's pain makes me so upset for her. Do I take the gamble in the hope of gaining an income either by a job or jobseekers allowance as a last resort and rebuild Bandit's life, or do I let things stay as they are, trying to help her recover slowly and alone, waiting until I can realistically afford it. My head says don't get another rabbit, but my heart says I should do what is right by Bandit. Although... that might not necessarily be what is right by the new rabbit.

Can someone help?

To be honest Bindi I would wait until you can afford it despite feeling sorry for Bandit. If you can't afford another rabbit both rabbits would suffer in the long run as you struggle to find the funds to keep them.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but my advice regardless.

All the best, TP;)

*Reason for Edit: I can't spell!!:lol:*

Last edited:
Thats a really difficult one. I know how difficult it is to watch a rabbit grieving.

Although she is greiving now if you do decide to get another bunny i would wait around a month to give Bandit enough time to grieve properly.

Do you know if there is any rspca clinics or a Pdsa near you which could help with future bills until you are earning?

Bedfordshire, UK

Right well I can't help with PVC locations but maybe Hugo's there can.

The other think to consider is insurance. For about £8 a month you get get each bunny insured. You would still have to pay an excess but it would avoid any hefty bills.

Another option is perhaps speak to the rescue and explain the situ, they may be willing to allow you to 'foster' until you are back on your feet ?

I found that when Benny lost his brother Pepsi, his odd behaviour wasn't so much greiving as we know it, but fear of being on his own suddenly. Rabbits are very very fond of routine, and everything has to stay the same for them to be happy - so when such a huge piece falls out of the picture it freaks them out.

I brought Benny into the house and just being in a different environment made it better - it's as if the shed wasn't 'home' without his brother there, so he was afraid, whereas the house was totally new, and quieter than outdoors too (he hates the wind, but never seemed bothered till he was alone) I think they are just confused to be alone in a place where there always used to be company. A cuddly toy can help ease lonliness too so I've heard (mine are all too destructive to have one though).

That was 2yrs ago and Benny is perfectly happy now - I never re-bonded him but he does have a neighbourly rabbit for company - If he was alone I'd have him as a house bunny not leave him outside.

It's a local self-employed rescue centre. I thought about fostering rather than adoption- I'll ask.

I tried the fluffy toy... Bandit wouldn't tolerate it. I took it out again before she could give it a new haircut or disimbowel it.

I'm going to wait until after my careers interview at least. My brother is coming up with some ideas for creating income so we'll see how things go. I know you are right, Teepee, that's what I was afraid of.

I'll wait and see how things go. I'd like to get a new bun at some point in the future (Bandit and Sealy were perfectly fine on their own before, but bonded they were the happiest I could imagine).

Thanks ;)

Aww! Hoping that you're in a better financial position very soon Bindi and all the best with the careers interview.

TP;)

yeh i think maybe a rescue would help you bond and allow you to foster the bun that you will later be adopting until you can afford to keep him. though i guess it depends on the rescue but dont take on what you cant afford as you will get deeper into debt and stress no good for you or buns! good luck hun x

Back