• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can't make a decision

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I can't decide what to do for the best for fudge my 7 year old mini lop, whether to put her through another dental or to let her go.

She went for a check up at the vets yesterday and the molar that she had removed 6 months ago has grown back but badly so it is spiky and the gum is inflammed. She is currently on her top dose of metacam and is managing to eat fairly well at the moment, but that isn't going to work for much longer so I have to decide.

I want to do whats best for her, she is a special bunny that was born here.

On the plus side she is still reasonably bright and her last dental has lasted 6 months. The vet only uses gas on her so she came round quickly last time.

But on the negative side, she also has root problems, the vets say there is a high chance they may find more problems once she is under the Ga. She also has e cuniculi and her back legs have deteriorated greatly in the last 6 months. She now refuses to use a litter tray at all and just wees on the carpet but is still clean underneath. She doesn't move around much and never sleeps relaxed but is always hunched up. She also isn't a cuddly rabbit so I can't put her on the sofa with me or give her any cuddles to improve her quality of life, she is a bit of an old grump really.

I don't want to put her through a dental if she is no better afterwards it would be too much for her, but I also want to give her every chance possible.

I hate making these decisions, Steve and I were discussing it for hours last night and we just don't know what to do.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

It really boils down to the rabbits quality of life.

We had the same decision not long ago, it was either an operation with a slim chance of success and possibly a life time of medication after or let him go. He couldn't eat properly, lost his sense of balance so had difficulting walking and jumping and was generally a miserable bunny who really looked like he'd lost the will to live.

Unfortunately we can't see her so only you know how much she is enjoying her life.

She is still bright but is unable to eat hay, takes about 5 hours to eat a bowl of cut up food, but gets there in the end.

She still moves around a bit but has lost all the spring in her hop, she never flops out relaxed and has to be seperated from her a partner as he was bullying her and knocking her flying.

I said to the vet yesterday that in bunny terms not being able to hop or eat hay or have a bunny friend doesn't seem much of a quality of life. Yet she still seems to be bright.

These descisions are so much easier when you know the bunny has given up completely and she hasn't yet. But I also want to save her future pain and suffering

what treatment did she have for e-cuniculi? I'm not sure how often it's recommended, but it might help to give another course. As for having her PTS there was a thread on this ages ago, and if the vet can't find a vein in her ear to inject into, please ask for an injection of domitor as a sedative, into a leg muscle - it costs more but the final injection has to be done into the abdomen if they can't find a vein in the ear, and it's far from a peaceful death :cry: I hope it doesn't come to that yet, but it's good to be prepared should the worst come to the worst.

Hiya,

I'm really sorry to hear about Fudge :(

How was she after the last dental? What's the best case scenario if you went ahead with it.

I guess one option would be to go a head with the anaesthetic and they'll be able to take a better look at the back of her mouth and then if they find more complications then let her go then. If not deal with the spur and see how she goes.

I had a referral to another vet the did a dental without a GA for me on an older rabbit with health problems. The recovery was much quicker afterwards as he didn't have the anaesthetic to work off. That was Guy Carter at Medivet, Watford - not sure if he's still working there but he's meant to be a rabbit dental expert.

I'd recommend a teddy bear, some bunnies find them pretty good company and they don't try to nick your food :)

Tamsin

Thanks for the replies,

She recovered well after the last dental as Hannah only uses gas, but she has deteriorated generally since then.

I don't want her to go through the dental if she can not eat properly afterwards because of her roots. I can feel large lumps in her bottom jawline.

I wondered about treatment for the ecuniculi but i think there is to much nerve damage and she has absolutely no muscle left over her hips.

She only weighs around 1.5kg in her prime she was 2.4kg

Both her sisters were pts two years ago due to dental problems and back leg problems so fudge has done really well to still be with us now.

With regards pts I do normally ask for the injection in their legs so I can stay with them while they fall asleep, then they do the final injection. I wasn't sure what to do this time as she has so little muscle on legs

What ever I do I know I will beat myself up about it afterwards, I always do

I'm sorry that I can't help you with this decision as that is (in the end) going to be up to you. Go with what you feel is right in your heart and please do not "beat yourself up" about it as all pet owners need make tough decisions at certain points in their lives.:(

I wish you the very best in making the decision that you feel is right for you and little Fudge.

Awww! HUGS!:(:(:(

TP

I am sorry that you are having to make this decision, I know how stressful and heartbreaking it is.

I guess a reasonable option is to go ahead with the dental and if your vet feels there is likely to be problems after then it would be kinder to let her go. I know you wouldn't be there at the end but to slip away under an anaesthetic would be a peaceful way to go.

It sounds as tho Fudge isn't ready to give up yet. It sounds as tho she has a wonderful life with you, only you will know whether she is still enjoying life.

Please don't beat yourself up, you are only thinking of what is best for Fudge.

Sending lots of love an hugs to you all,
Vanessa xx

Thanks for your replies.

I wish I could work out how to post pics cos then you could see how pretty she is. I'll have a go at it at the weekend.

Back