• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye Problem

kingkio

New Kit
Cassidy, my 6 month old,mini lop doe, has developed a problem with her eye.

It is rather strange.

She is basically a house rabbit at the mo due to bad start in life and will be gradually weaned to the outdoors over the next few months.
However, on sunny days she does have a hutch that she spends a couple of hours in a day at the mo.
About 2 weeks ago I noticed her right eye was not opened as much as the other. i have used Brolene drops & ointment but not sure what i am treating her for as there is no discharge, no watering of the eye and no inflammation or redness. The eye just is held slightly closed, about 1/4 less, in relation to other. She has also had antibiotics now for 4days.
I have done a check with a pen light to see reflex and noticed that the right pupil did not react to the light in the same manner as the left. Little reaction at all, really

Not sure what this all means and she doesn't seemed bothered by her lazy eye, but as it has only just started, and was not from birth I am a little concerned.

I have checked her teeth, but from previous experience would expect discharge if this was the cause. Even if she had caught a chill in the eye from being outside would have expected some other symptons.

If there is little or no reaction to light in the affected eye then this could be indicative of a serious problem at the back of the eye (the retina) or a neurological problem. Given the eyelid is droopy too this may well point to a neurological problem. I can answer that as an optician.

As for what may cause this in a rabbit, I am not rabbit experienced enough to know - sorry.

Hopefully one of the more experienced members will be along soon.

I would certainly take Cassidy to the vets for a check up/look inside the eye if you have not already done so.
Vanessa xx

has she seen a vet? you dont think it could be start of myxi? (though out of season and dont want to worry you) also sounds more like a problem within the eyes function. could be she has got something in it so cant open fully.does she wince if you try to open it? i think a rabbit savvy vet trip is in order let us know!

There are lots of possible causes, there could be a tooth root pressing on a nerve, a stroke can cause weakness in one side, other neurological problems including those caused by EC.

Tam

I would say if it were a blocked or partially blocked tear duct there would be discharge, probably milky white or possibly if infection were present a thick white with redness or soreness too. This sounds like something else but I would definitely quiz your vet for more info.

Helen

Back