• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cages with stands?!

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I keep seeing indoor rabbit cages advertised with stands attached that raise them 2' off the floor - what is the logic behind this? doesnt it mean that the bunny cant hop in and out, and is anyway scared to be so high up?!

I didn't see the point in them either, that said all my rabbits seem to enjoy being as high off the ground as they can get for some reason :?

when my dad built mine he built it off the floor on legs as he seemed to think it was something to do with predator safety cats etc. its not quite 2 ft off but the buns jump uup in and jump down out instead of using the ramp:)

i suspected as much :(

my outdoor hutches are obviously raised off the groundcos of damp and predators but i dont see the need for indoors.

I once read they (or this might have been only for guinea pigs) should be off the ground since they could get stressed out by the sound and vibration of people walking around:roll:
The school cages are off the ground but that is mostly to ease cleaning, so we just dig out the sawdust and let it fall into a box underneath, but with a regular pet shop cage this wouldn't be possible anyway so that's pretty useless:roll:
Plenty of rabbits like to sit tall, maybe to get a good view of their surroundings, but its better to just give them a taller cage or a box to sit on, instead of putting their cage way up high so they can't get out on their own.

As for guinea pigs and being stressed, all the school's pigs are in pens on the floor:roll: Never once had one get stressed because of people (or stomping rabbits) walking around them:lol: (and no the buns are not in with the guinea pigs, but they sometimes get the run of the room, and then they pass the guinea pig pens sometimes.

I know with rat cages it can be good as they like to be "at your level" but for buns it does seem a bit silly as they'd want to hop in and out as easily as possible!

It's a good idea for somebody who's old or has a bad back...after cleaning all my hutches out every saturday, my back really starts to hurt. :oops: :lol:

Could it also be because of draughts?

I don't know why, but I always remember being told once that hamster cages etc. should be raised off the floor on a table or something so they don't get cold from draughts... perhaps the manufacturers have extended this principle to rabbits?

Though considering bunnies could probably cope with draughts a bit better than a teeny little hamster could, not sure if that is the case!

Back