• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Result of Nia's test

capel

Warren Veteran
I had a call this morning to tell me that the results of the nasal swab taken from Nia last week shows that she doesn't have pastuerella:D:D. However,(why is there always a "but" where Nia's health is concerned:?) she has a significant amount of Diptheroids present. We are assuming that the infection may well be caused by a foreign body somewhere in her right nasal passsage, in which case continuing with antibiotics will only manage the symptoms but not deal with the cause.. so I'm not sure where to go from here. Nasal flushing, or even just an Xray to try to see if there is anything there will involve another GA and she had a near miss the last time she had a GA. Suzzetta is going to have a chat with Kevin about it tomorrow and then ring me for further discussion. SO, all you knowledgeable people..Jane, Sooz etc etc any thoughts? Anti-snotty nose vibes please:)

Would they be able to x-ray using sedation rather than a full GA?
Do you know what GA drugs she had last time?

Problem is if its a blockage of soft tissue or similar it may not show on an x-ray.
Are her eyes weepy too or is it just her nose?

Poor little Nia, she just bounces from one thing to another :(

No problems with her eyes, just one nostril.She started sneezing a couple of weeks ago..not much, just the occasional isolated sneeze which gradually developed over time though i doubt that even at its peak she never snezzed more that 2 or 3 times in a day. When I noticed her snotty nose and matted paws I took her to the vet where she had a tearduct flush and general check over and was started on a course of baytril. She's now on the 14th day and the sneezing is down to perhaps one a day again though her nose is still snotty. I'll ask which GA she had, though I'm sure it will have been an appropriate one as Kevin has done a study and written papers on Anaesthesia for rabbits..I think he was also a speaker on that subject at one of the RWA conferences a few years back.

Tons of anti-snotty nose vibes coming from here :D:D:D :wave:hehe

Trust Nia not to have something "common" - shes a vets nightmare!:shock::lol:

I really don't know what would be best Hilda. I would suggest you put your faith in Kevin and together make a decision. Its impossible to say what the best cause of action is :?

Her symptoms sound very similar to Harry's although his has been going on a lot longer :? He sneezes loads in one go then doesn't sneeze at all for ages - sometimes his nose looks a little damp afterwards and at other times theres a wodge of snot :mrgreen: but like your Nia it's just one nostril. Two different vets have put him on a variety of drugs, some of which have masked the problem other which haven't touched it and Jane has just suggested to me that I ask the vet about a possible nasal foreign body/polyp - so this is where I am heading next with it.

Anti snotty vibes to your Nia from me and a snotty Harry! :D

No problems with her eyes, just one nostril.She started sneezing a couple of weeks ago..not much, just the occasional isolated sneeze which gradually developed over time though i doubt that even at its peak she never snezzed more that 2 or 3 times in a day. When I noticed her snotty nose and matted paws I took her to the vet where she had a tearduct flush and general check over and was started on a course of baytril. She's now on the 14th day and the sneezing is down to perhaps one a day again though her nose is still snotty. I'll ask which GA she had, though I'm sure it will have been an appropriate one as Kevin has done a study and written papers on Anaesthesia for rabbits..I think he was also a speaker on that subject at one of the RWA conferences a few years back.

I din't mean it was inappropriate just that perhaps she had a reaction to a specific drug and an alternative might suit her better. Rory for example reacted badly to his GA of Domitor and Torbugesic so in future he would be better of with Isoflurane if at all possible.

I din't mean it was inappropriate just that perhaps she had a reaction to a specific drug and an alternative might suit her better. Rory for example reacted badly to his GA of Domitor and Torbugesic so in future he would be better of with Isoflurane if at all possible.
:lol:I didn't take it that way Sooz, don't worry. :)I was just leading onto a thought that if she has reacted badly with that GA despite a very knowledgeable vet who was aware of her history I wondered what else could be done.I'll def find out what she had, although Isoflurane rings a bell.:)

:lol::lol: Maybe it would help if she dis a great big sneeze instead of the occasional whispered one!! She's such a lady though, shed demand a kleenex !!:lol:

:lol::lol: Maybe it would help if she dis a great big sneeze instead of the occasional whispered one!! She's such a lady though, shed demand a kleenex !!:lol:

well I should think the lady deserves embroidered silk hankies in that case :lol:

Kevin spoke to me this afternoon and says that he doesn't think the culture results are significant, and as her symptoms appear to less lessening he want to keep her on Baytril for one more week and review the situation next Thursday. Both she and Tim are going to see him next Thursday anyway as I'm changing to the liquid panacur which he says is much cheaper. Both buns have been started on the 30 day course as he says the 9 day course is really a waste of time given the lifecycle of the EC protozoa. I was really pleased with myself because I knew that already:lol: ... Jill had told me!!!:lol: Bless the forum and its members!!!

Back