• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I found a vet! :-D

Teepee

Mama Doe
I posted on another thread that I am due to have 2 rabbits in a few weeks and my intention to take them to "my vet" (as in the local vet) in order to seek advice on vaccs/spaying/neutering/sex of buns etc. etc. when they arrive...ANYWAY, I decided against this plan on reading the replys I received as I wasn't too sure how "savvy" said vet was on rabbits. Instead I hatched a "cunning ploy" to find the vet I thought most suitable:

1) I asked local people with small animals which vet they used and the experience they'd had with them (5 vets were suggested in total).
2) I looked recommended vets up on the internet (though some had no webpage) and read all I could about them/got their contact details.
3) I rang said vets, told them my situation and asked questions regarding fees/how regularly spaying/neutering was done at their practice etc....

Most just gave me basic information in reply (though one could only find information on spaying and not neutering)...It may be "gut instinct" but the lady I spoke to at the vets I have chosen was BRILLIANT. I told her my situation and had no need to ask any questions as she gave me heaps of advice on everything from rabbit housing to vaccs without further prompting. Granted I knew much of the information already from reading around and from threads on here, but it was LOVELY to have somebody take the time to address my situation properly - and it would seem one of the vets there has a "special interest" in small animals.:D

It took a bit of time but I feel TONS better for doing it as this lady certainly knew what she was talking about and she wasn't even the vet! It's a small practice and the lady said this "helps the vet get to know all the animals registered here and the owners too" - it's not "my vet" (as in the nearest one) but "gut instinct" says it's the "best one for me".:D

Sorry for long post but I am so relieved to find a practice I am happy with before they arrive - YEY!!

TP;)

oh that sounds great :D I was a right nuisance to local vets before I got bunnies - I rang them all and didn't even bother with the ones that were offhand about it - usually although it's just the receptionist you speak to, she's often also the vet nurse in a small practise, so if she's not interested then the vet probably isn't either.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if she was the vet nurse as she seemed most "clued up" on how "careful you have to be with rabbits and GA and this is why proceedures on them cost more than a cat etc."

She seemed "interested" in my rabbits if you see what I mean and gave explanations for information given without me having to ask each time. :D

TP;)

Back