• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hedgehog pics

thistle

Mama Doe
Thought that I would post a few photos of a couple of my other pets. So meet Hector and Harriet Hog, the African pygmy hedgehogs.:D

Hector....
SUC51989.jpg

SUC52168.jpg

when hedgehogs find a smell they like (usually something grotty like a dirty sock or, as what happened last night with Harriet, Angus my westies fur:roll:) they first bite into it to get as much of the smell in their mouths and then lick their quills leaving froth all over them, it's called anointing.....you'd be amazed at the positions they can get in to. 2 secs after this pic was taken, he fell over......:lol:
SUC51951.jpg

and Harriet....
SUC52253.jpg

They are both chocolates (believe it or not you can get different colours) and are very friendly.:love:

Now it's not every day you get to see a hedgehog in that position with a tongue like that - they are gorgeous. A friend of mine in the states has an albino hedgehog as a pet and I thought that was cute until seeing these 2 little beauties

Wow this is amazing , you guys can keep these as pets ?? can i ask a silly question but are they great with families etc?

In oz we have an Echidna , but is protected and definatly not kept as pets thats why is a little different for me to see this..

I love them very cute ..

wow - they are gorgeous. knowing nothing about keeping hedgies :oops: - where do they live (indoors or out)? . have you any piccies of their set ups and are they easy to keep? they really are stunning!!

oh my goodness they are tooooo cute!!! would love to see their setups and know more about them :D

I have fostered a couple of wild babies over winter before (with the close help of a hedgehog rescue) sonica was found extremally thin in a neighbours garden she died not long aftre we got her :cry:

sonica004.jpg

sonica006.jpg

not sure if i have piccies of Mavis on here or not she went to the rescue after a while to go and join a group of 'garden hedgehogs'

Fab pics, I adore hogs and have also fostered wild ones in the past.... great little creatures, though I'm not sure about keeping them as pets..... although I imagine they are far safer as pets! :)

You know if you have an enclosed garden you can 'adopt' a wild one. The wildlife hospital I helped at would send wild hedgehogs to live in peoples gardens once they'd recovered from what they'd been brought in for.

You know if you have an enclosed garden you can 'adopt' a wild one. The wildlife hospital I helped at would send wild hedgehogs to live in peoples gardens once they'd recovered from what they'd been brought in for.

Aaaww wow really?? Would you need grass though (I don't have it) and also how would that work if you had cats?

I think I'm destined to admire from afar!

that sounds cool! Do you have to feed them? What about fleas?

My word I never knew you could have hedgehogs as pets and that people actuall breed them! Wow I would love a hedgehog. Do they keep the slug population in your garden down!? What kind of habitat to they need? How do you look after them?

Awwwww!! :love:

My BF has been going on about pygmy hedgehogs for a while, they are so sweet. But we cannot seem to find any in rescues... is that because they are actually quite rare and there is not an excess number? Would one have to go to a breeder really in order to obtain one?

Back