• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

smelly lop

saysi

New Kit
My dwarf lop is now just about 6 and is recently struggling to keep clean - the rear end has an abundance of poo that hangs around there - she seems happy and still eats -strict green limited diet - to try and unstress her digestive system - but things aren't right down there, any ideas greatly appreciated

What pelleted feed is she on and how much does she et each day?
Is she a good hay eater?
Is she overweight?
Does she have any dental problems/ when was her last dental check?

My questions are similiar to Sooz

What dried food are you feeding?
How much dried food are you feeding each day?
Is your rabbit overweight?
Does your rabbit have a problem with joint or back problems?
Any dental issues?

If your rabbit has any joint disease or back problems they often find it difficult to reach this area to keep it clean.

If your rabbit is overweight, they are also unlikely to reach this area to clean it. This can be resolved by encouraging them to loose weight by feeding them less dried food and also puting it in a treat ball and making them work for it.

If you are feeding more than 50g of either a museli type mix or excel, some rabbits will have problems with a dirty bottom. This can easily be resolved by either decreasing their dried food to less that 50g a day or even better change their dried food slowly over to another food such as Science Selective , Bunny Basics T or Allen and Page Pellets again only feed a maximum of 50g.

It is essential to get this resolved before the warm weather to prevent problems with fly strike, it would be worth protecting your rabbit even now with some rearguard.

yeah I would get some rearguard from the vets too, since she's 'at risk' from flies now until next winter really.

I have a chubby boy bunny who is older - as he's not burning it off I only give him a teaspoon full of pellets morning and evening, just as a treat really - the rest of the day he has fresh hay to eat, given morning and evening, and only a small amount of veg at tea time.

If you leave rabbit food in overnight they will also leave their sticky poops and eat the food instead, so just leave a fresh bundle of hay overnight, preferably in a big box litter tray rather than in a rack, as it keeps them occupied digging through it.

If you need to clean her, cooking cornflour, massaged dry into the dirty fur can work wonders as the dirt slides off - but if you can't handle her doing this you might need someone to hold her for you.

Thanks for replies - she's not overweight and she still jumps up and down her climbing frame as sprightly as ever, she has excel every other day- a small handful and eats hay every day; i'm cleansing her end with cotton wool and a little antiseptic cream applied - a daily cleansing routine just as i do my face! she seems to not mind at all, but she's still not right; oh and teeth look fine and she's never had any trouble with them

feeding every other day can cause problems too - it's better to feed regularly daily amounts - and I've heard excel can be notorious for sticky bum problems, so I recommend you get some science selective - I get mine online as petshops don't seem to stock it much :)

at 6 she might not be as bendy as she was.......I don't know if anyone has any recomendations for arthritic buns.

thanks again but it is only the digestive system that is not working right - she has no signs of arthritis or slowing down, she goes up and down the stairs as well as ever and still chases the cats to wake them up; i'll try changing her dry food

thanks again but it is only the digestive system that is not working right - she has no signs of arthritis or slowing down, she goes up and down the stairs as well as ever and still chases the cats to wake them up; i'll try changing her dry food

remember to do it slowly :)

Back