• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have had to sepearate lilly and bailey

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Im so upset, lilly and bailey have just had a proper fight which resulted in a side scuffle... im so upset as i thought is cracked it.

It looks like im destined to have single bunnies... i am keeping him tho as i don't want him to have to go back into a rescue x

Is the rescue OK with you keeping him single? Some wont allow it.

How serious was the scuffle?

Is the rescue OK with you keeping him single? Some wont allow it.

How serious was the scuffle?

hes going to be a house bunny - so i don't think they will have a problem...

Plus i was not so keen on his environment there and wish to keep him if i can...

the scuffle was worse than what happened with her and marsha...

x

Can someone not bond them for you? I think sometimes 'fights' look worse than they are...Is either of them hurt? Bless them X

Yes, we were talking about it in bed, and i am going to try bailey and marsha. I will try in a couple of weeks tho as im abit down now.

x

Oh I'm so so sorry. Hugs to you.

Can you wait a while and try again - it seemed to be going so well. Or wait and then try Marsha.

thats wot i thought, whens the best time of year?

xx

I havent been about much lately so I am not sure how long you have been bonding this pair or how you have gone about it. There are often good reasons why bonding goes wrong and people do not click at the time why things have happened.

Spring is notoriously a time when ARC get lots of phone calls saying that buns have started fighting, depending on what the issues are or circumstances we usually advise to move them both to a neutral territory or to thoroughly clean out the area they are in but to keep them together on a restricted area. There are an odd few instances when we would suggest splitting them but these are few and far between.

Although we know that some buns are notoriously fiesty in the spring, I still bond at least 2 pairs of rabbits every week of the year for ARC often more. I dont do anything different as I have very particular ways of bonding which I have to admit are pretty succesful.

Now you have split your buns and I think are planning to swap the partner over I would leave things 2 weeks to allow the smells of another rabbit to disappear as this may cause problems with bonding. I always advise on the 'get on with it method' where you start and continue until you have succeeded rather than the stop / start method which I find confuses and stresses out rabbits even more than the continuous method. I use totally neutral territory and I keep buns in a restricted area about 150 x 50 cm for the duration that they are with me, I do not move them usually from this area until they go home. I would suggest for at least a week after the intial bonding has been started keeping them on a restricted area which is neutral (or neutralised with vinegar) such one smallish room or a hutch with a small run rather than suddenly giving them large areas to run about. After this slowly increasing there area.

If you were nearer me I would offer to bond them for you, although I am pretty booked up and now only have one space for the 24th March :roll: The offer is there ...........

Aw no!! But don't give up hope hun, my bridge buns Chester and Sadie HATED each other when I first attempted their bond, it took a good 3 months for them to get together and they enjoyed nearly 6 years together, so there is hope;) Maybe he and Marsha would click better? Maybe she is the girl for him??;):lol:

awww that's a shame, but I agree it's just Spring madness - not that I ever bond but I wouldn't recommend it in Spring time as girlies get a bit loopy - it's chaos in my shed at the moment you've never seen such a mess as they have abandoned litter training and Petunia's making a nest, which involves plucking her 3 sisters - and it's that which triggers fighting although my lot seem to be very tolerant of lending some fur to their sisters so far - TOUCH WOOD!!!!! :roll:

awww that's a shame, but I agree it's just Spring madness - not that I ever bond but I wouldn't recommend it in Spring time as girlies get a bit loopy - it's chaos in my shed at the moment you've never seen such a mess as they have abandoned litter training and Petunia's making a nest, which involves plucking her 3 sisters - and it's that which triggers fighting although my lot seem to be very tolerant of lending some fur to their sisters so far - TOUCH WOOD!!!!! :roll:

I'm glad I didn't know this a couple of weeks ago :shock:

It's defo worth seeing if someone experienced could bond them for you. I managed to re-bond Poppy and Harry myself with lots of advice from Sooz, but I would never in a million years have managed to bond Jack myself.

Janice bonded him for me and he and Emily are now a happy couple, but they had a really bad (and terrifying!) fight while I was there. Jack had hold of poor Emily's ear and wouldn't let go - it still hasn't healed up completely! There's no way I would even have considered leaving them together after seeing that but Janice has nerves of steel and lots of experience and there's been a happy ending.

Back