• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant buns - question re rescue/bonding?

B

BRACKEN

I am in the very, very early stages of considering getting a giant bunny. I'm just looking at pros/cons (cost,space,time,etc....) and whether it would work with the buns I have.

I have never previously had a 'set up' that could accomodate one having previously had a standard hutch set up. However I think I may have now. (My 3 existing buns live in a dog kennel 10ft by 4 ft, with extra shelving for them and we are currently planning for a run on the front that will be 10ft by 6ft) Thier whole daily area will be 10ft by 10ft. I'm not sure if that would be considered big enough for 4 buns, including a giant?. I also have a secured 'open' area of the garden approx 50ft by 30ft.

I have a couple of questions :-

Has anyone introduced a giant bun to an existing bonded group. Has it worked? Can big buns live safely with 'normal' sized buns? (Taking into account normal bonding issues)

Do many giants come through the rescues? I know I shouldn't really be too picky but I love the Papillion breed. There seems to be lots of breeders advertising on the internet for this breed but not many in rescues? I don't mind caring responsible breeders but I don't know anyone for 'giants' and I have been reading lots of 'excellent breeding doe for sale' ..etc which puts me off. If someone is happy to wait for a particular breed, assuming you are home checked, would a rescue keep your details in mind?

Just wondered.

Linda

Thank you for the link. Not sure I can have 2 giants!

I will just keep an eye out and just see what the rescues say at the time re the space needed.

Linda

I have a Continental cross french lop that lives with a semi wild bun who is a 1/4 of her size. As regards them coming through rescues I have ever only had one but have adopted all of mine from other rescues arounfd the country.

Adding any rabbit to an existing group is always risky. Are you prepared to house maybe FIVE rabbits singly, in the worse case senario they all fall out. This is a possibility.

Bonding giants with smaller rabbits is possible and can work well , there are a few people who have done this successfully on here but I think it depends on the personalities of the rabbits. I have a group and 2 giants who live seperately and personally I don't like the idea of my giants with my ND. I know it may work but at the same time if a fight broke out it would not be like 2 standard rabbits fighting, it could end up with the ND being crushed. I have no plans to bond either of them.

With regards to a papillion, they are a very highly strung and territorial breed. Definitely not a good choice to add to a group, again, IMO. Ruby, hates the little ones and is extremely stroppy and possessive over food or bedding, even hates sharing with Radar. It took me months to bond the two because Ruby would not back down and let Radar be the dominant one. Because I had bonded 4 male/female small rabbits before I *thought* this would just be a standard bonding... How much was I wrong. They hated each other and Ruby's baby fiestiness irrtated Radar. As she got a bit older she then got hormonal and the battle of status began! They would be fine together in the garden but would not share the shed. It was really starting to worry me because I had not accounted for what if they didn't get on and keeping two giants seperate wasn't really an option. Thankfully, I was patient and had time to keep up with the regular meetings. Eventually Ruby backed down. I watched in amazement as her whole body language changed overnight and she finally excepted Radar as boss. I will never add another rabbit to their union as it was hard enough getting them two together :D

You probably think I am trying to put you off big style. Its just there is not much on this breed and I think it is important you know what kind of character they generally are! :D If nothing else, you will be prepared , unlike I was!!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. Much appreciated.

It would be really interesting and helpful to find out more about the characters that can be associated with certain bunny breeds. (A bit like most people know the characteristics of dogs and the different breeds) I will have to do a bit more research on bunnies.

I have a blue rex who is extremely docile and laid back and I believe someone told me that this is typical of the breed.

Obviously I appreciate a bunnies life experiences will affect thier behaviour and they are all individuals so I'm sure there are many variations within the breeds.

No, I'm not prepared to have 4 single buns. I'm not sure what my plan B would be if they don't bond. Something else to think about.

I do have another dog kennel (that the dogs use!) and can temporarily use it to bond them in a neutral space if I go ahead.

I will keep on thinking.

Linda

Following on ...... just found some interesting info (for me anyway!!) that 'categorised' bunny breeds into 3 ways - relaxed, curious and excitable.

The papillon (checkered giant) was indeed on the excitable list. The flemish giant was on the relaxed list.

Obviously I know it can be different but I guess knowing the underlying character may help me get it right.

But..... I just saw an advert for a checkered giant (to quote ' my daughter has lost interest!!)

Must stop looking. I am not ready yet and it was too far away.

We have 3 giants and a french lop. They are all very different.

Kitty - our frenchie is by far the most laid back. We had her from very young, 7 weeks I think it was. She lives with a small lionhead, a small cashmere lop and a dwarf lop.

Florence - our first conti is quite skittish, even though we have had her since she was 9 weeks old. She is easily freaked and would like to be dominant but just doesnt quite have what it takes. She is adored by Colleen, a small dutch but also lives with BooBoo (our giant blue) who is currently the boss, and Adam (our Salander) who is still trying to become the boss on the quiet.

BooBoo is very friendly and even though she has had very little contact with us humans she is always at the gate for attention and loves nose rubs that cover her entire head! She was approx 6 months old when we adopted her. BooBoo is both brave and stubborn and will probably maintain her position as the boss.

Jaynie is our single house bun - single because she doesnt yet appear to want any company other than us. We did try to bond her in our 11 bond last summer but took her out of the bond within 24 hours as it just wasnt suiting her at all. We think she may never bond but will no doubt have another go in the future. Her personality speaks volumes. She will walk up to a stranger and flop at their feet or demand attention. She will jump onto the sofa for attention if nudging your legs isnt working.

I think all of our bunnies have very different personalities but Im not sure if this has actually helped you!!

Maria x

I must have delinquentquiteshys
Jasmine French Lop- A stroppy little madam who wants fuss when she says
Josh - Flemish he is laid back but would rather you petted Jasmine than him
Baby Giant - Continental cross French - Excellent in every way
Charlie British - laid back to a degree but like to get in to mishief
Poppy British - Poppy does what Poppy wants and no fuss
Tilly French - Laid back but can also be a little madam when she wants
Billy Giant cross- he is nice and likes a nose rub
Samson & Bessie NZ- Aggressive love to bite you, but cuddly when you can eventually pick them up
Tabby British- Very Laid back
Tally British - Just like poppy
Branston continental - Quite shy at the moment
Mayo Continental - Into everything but very friendly

Wow - both sets of bunnies sound like they have big characters. Have you got any piccies of them?

For the 11 bond - are they really all in together? Does this inlcude the big and little guys?

Its lovely to hear all the different personalities. Guess I will have to wait and see what happens. I have 1 very laid back boy, 1 boy (a runt) who will be having his bits off the week after next, and 1, sometimes stroppy, girl.

I guess like most pets you just seem to end up with the right one as they kind of choose you.

Linda

All mine live in pairs. Poppy my British Giant is a prejudice bun and only likes british giants. When I very first got her I tried to bond her with a male bun from withing the rescue but she terrorised them all so I thought she would be better on her own, Then Charlie came and from the minute he came into the garden it was love at fisrt sight. She doesn't like all the other giants except Tabby & Tally who again are British Giants and agouti the same as her and Charlie. I am going to hopefully bond the 4 of them very soon.

Back