• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stressful vet visits - any way to make them less so?

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
As you probably all know by now (I have bored you all with it enough over the last 18 months! ;)), my bunnies go into stasis all the time. For that reason, I try to keep things as constant and stress-free as possible.

I find that when I take them to the vets, they get incredibly stressed, and it takes them hours to recover afterwards. :( The car journey is 30-40 minutes, and they go in the same carrier for company.

Any tips would be gratefully received as, assuming I still have them :)(), they are due for myx vaccinations in April. I talked it over with the vet yesterday, and we've decided they won't have their VHD.

I always put a couple of drops of rescue remedy in their water before they travel - seems to help mine at least. Hope the buns have a stress free journey

Smokey isn't too bad in a car but Inky hates it! All I can suggest is that he seems to travel slightly better if he has something soft to stand on and has a chance to go in the carrier, on his own terms beforehand.

I usually put the carrier in the run for a little while before I take him anywhere in it, that way he knows (hopefully) that it is OK and won't eat him:lol:.

I've also found that a soft, mesh carrier seems to make them feel safer.

Hi! See my thread " Do you or dont you" which may help out, but only if you have a bonded pair.

Mia

i saw something in PAH for anxiety in rabbits does it work rosie always freaks when she goes to the vets even if its just for boosters

lisa

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Yes, they travel together (see my first post).

I think the issue is that they hate any sort of barrier/being caged. That's largely why they are free range in the house - they even hate closed doors, let alone being in a box. I can try to get them used to the carrier by having them go in and out voluntarily, but I honestly don't think that will help, as it's having the door closed that is the problem. :?

I suppose the cost would be too prohibitive to have the vet visit you to do it??

Would you consider getting the vacc done by a more local vet - with your own vets agreement - to ensure that they are covered but without the journey?

They are under a practice plan, so I have to have the vaccinations there. Can't imagine the vet would come here - I'd never get an appointment. :(

I think I found some alcohol-free rescue remedy online somewhere, so I might try that.

Back