• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits eating Straw

jackiestone

Warren Veteran
I have litter trained Norman and Beatrix and i put woodshavings and straw in the litter tray,they have a hay rack full of hay and hay on the floor of the living area of the hutch.I went to clean out the litter tray and found that all the straw had been eaten!Also when i replaced the straw they both went and sat in the litter tray and started eating,is this ok??

thanks

Jackie x

Could you put hay on the litter tray and straw in the living area?
Buns poop as they eat so hay may be best in the litter tray anyway and straw will help keep them warm when it's cold so might be better in the living area.
Just a thought :D

It's ok for buns to eat straw, it just doesn't have any nutritional value - so it is far better to get them to eat the hay if you can so if that's where they munch I'd agree with putting hay there instead, but there's no need to worry about the fact that they are actually eating straw.

my two seem to love straw! I try to limit the amount in their bed area but i always think it looks much warmer and cosier than hay! I think its fine for them it just hasnt got any nutitional value so its best to make sure theres more hay than straw in their reach!

they will eat whatever's in the litter tray, so like animusuk says, I'd put hay in the tray and straw on the floor ......:lol: poetry!

Thank you everyone,i shall go and sort the hutch out now,it is probably in a right mess again,both of them love living in a tip!:D

Jackie

Back