• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabit Runs and Hutches - Sizes & Ideas...

T.J

New Kit
Hi,

Sadly our last rabbit died after quite a stressful time during illness, house move etc and my wife being the kind soul she is now wants to look at providing temporary fostering to rabbits in need. This leads me to the issues of homing them....

At the moment we have a pretty typical sized 4ft hutch and a home built run that's about 4.5x7x3ft - is this too big to convert in to one single hutch and if not how many rabbits could it house? Also, again if the size is ok would it be better as one "flat" single story or up-ended on to the longest size and split in to two floors?

Run wise have been measuring up in the garden and can fence in an area about 20x17ft, cant cover this sort of space but can make it pretty much escape proof from digging etc.

The idea subject to feedback was to convert the existing 7ft run into a hutch and then place this inside the large fenced area. This way they have plenty of outside space during the day and when shut in the hutch overnight will still have room to move etc.

Does this all seem like a sound idea or can someone spot any blindingly obvious problems - any ideas or suggestions are most welcome :)

Many Thanks
Liam

Hello, we have 2 small/medium bunnies in a converted shed which is 5x7', inside we have a 4' double hutch for them with the doors taken off the bottom - plenty of room for two medium buns. Our foster buns also have an area 5x7' with a double storey hutch in it (4x2') and a roof.

I would say you're better off giving them bigger run space (ie 5x7) than upending and building levels upwards, however if they've got access to a huge run area as well then really you could do either. I would say potential issues with the run might be a) rabbits digging out and b) foxes getting in. But if they're shut away at night then it's safer :)

Also depending on the height of your new hutch, you may have issues cleaning it if it's a 5x7' area but only low height.

Helen

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply - been doing some CAD designs for the multi-story idea and to say there will be a lot of planning and details to work out would be an understatement lol.

The run is about 3ft high so plenty tall enough for the rabbits but going to be awkward for me to gain access unless i can make the whole top removable. Its hinged at the moment but the tops are only chicken wire and will require a re-think to take the weight of roofing material etc. If i made the floor tough enough and the roof panels removable then guess i could always hop in as it were and clean them out that way lol.

Assuming we did go with the larger 7x4.5ft area would that allow for more "residents" than the multi-story method? Thinking ideally we'd like to house 4 rabbits, 2 of our own with space for 2 on a fostering basis.

Many Thanks
Liam

You'd have to remember that the fosterbuns wouldn't be able to share the run with your buns until you had quarantined them for about 2 weeks, so ideally you'll need 2 seperate runs, as it's not just a case of keeping them apart, but also ensuring that they don't share the same floor area, albeit at seperate times, until the 2 weeks quarantine is over.

Yes you would need to split the area in two really... sounds like you have masses of space though so wouldn't be a problem. Good point about quarrantine above.

Helen

Last edited:
I would have a chat with your local rescue and see what their views are for your foster hutches if you are planning to foster for a rescue.

Hi all,

Thanks for the many replies. Didn't think about the quarantine issues, so cheers for pointing them out - makes sense really, do it with tropical fish so why not rabbits lol.

We've had a rethink on the run, it was never designed to be a hutch so we're not going to try and convert it after all. Instead I've designed a 7x2ft two story hutch that can be fixed to the run giving them plenty of hutch room and 24/7 access to a secure outside space.

Spoken to the local RSPCA and to start with we're going to adopt from them and all being well look in to fostering at a later date.

Cheers
TJ

Back