• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peeing Bunny

max5445

New Kit
Hi I have a 8 year old dwarf lop who i obtained from a rabbit rescue centre, he is deaf but besides that healthy. I have been away for a few months, however he was being looked after by a carer. REcently he has been peeing everywhere and it is not your normal rabbit pee colour (its like human pee), he is not lifting his rear end to pee therefore sitting in it has he does it. this has caused his coat at the rear to become matted (his coat was matted when i collected him). My query is: Do some rabbits have clear wee? What is the best soloution for getting rid of the matted bum hair ( i have used scissors) I am finding that i am having to bath his rear end everyday, can anyone suggest a suitable rabbit shamppoo

Rabbit wee can be different colours although i dont think ive found a puddle in my bunny room thats clear.
Have you had him checked out at the vets.. it could be he has an infection maybe or could he have become incontinent? :? It could be that he has simply lost his litter tray habits being in a strange environment (or was he still at home with a carer?)
One of my bunnies often wees where she is sitting but as far as we know has not got any problems.. i think she just doesnt get the litter tray idea :roll: Her fur is often yellow and knotty under her bottom. I comb it through but unless its awful i dont wash her. You do have to be careful that he doesnt get sore if he is getting wee on his bottom/legs too. My Nala did when i first got her and had Vaseline to the areas which helped it heal up.
I hope you get to the bottom of why he's suddenly doing it.

Is he drinking a lot? That can dilute the urine down to a lighter colour.

It could well be a UTI which will need antibiotics to clear it up. The pain generaly stops rabbits being able to direct the wee away from their body and renders them incontinent.

Does he show any sings of hind leg weakness?

hi....i have got a buny with the same problem. I took him to the vets today..he took a wee sample and tested it...all negative. He could only conclude it was a behavioural problem but hwat he didnt know..but guessed it was that he couldnt handle the open plan living that the frenchies have with him..he misses bif and their canoodles and hidey spaces being both nervous buns and wickle ones.
hes been peeing in his trays but he leaves puddles on the floor which is lino and the tent....yes my buns have a kiddies playtent in the lounge! hes soaking with wee..i have butt bathed him..bathed him..sponged him down..ive used rabbit shampoo....baby bath..kandoo handwash which is actuall very good massgaed into damp fur and sponged off several times..les stressful than baths.
Our vet told me to bath his bum in a salt water solution to help neutralsie acid and heal the sore skin..putting sudocrem on when dry too.
so later on im off to do that..i need a degree in buny butt bathing.

get to see the vet asap..if nothing physical then maybe hes stressed out feleing threatned etc.

Peeing bunnie

Thanks everyone for getting back to me, he is not doing it so much now, and is using his dirt tray. After reading your comments i think it may have been because he is not use to large open spaces. I've taken him to the vet and mentioned about the colour of his wee, they said it maybe a kidney infection. I will now wait for him to wee on my floor so i can take a sample for the vet, hopefully it is not serious. Once again thanks for your advice

Just a word of warning about testing urine samples for infection...

The bacteria that causes urinary tract infection (UTI) cannot survive once exposed to air, so urine will nearly always test negative for bacteria.

In an elderly rabbit I would suspect arthritis making him unable to urinate comfortably

Or possibly more likely is bladder stones/sludge.

I have had 2 rabbits with clear urine, and I personally think it's a bad sign. Both of mine went on to develop severe bladder trouble (but that could be coincidence)

Amy

The other possibility is EC as this can also be a cause of deafness. Hopefully he'll get much better now he's home again!

Back