• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much does it cost to neuter a male Guinea pig?

minirex

Mama Doe
:wave: Does any one have an idea how much this would cost? If it's just males living together do they still have to be neutered?:? I've kept piggies before, but only girls.

boys don't need neutering to live as a pair of boys (more than a pair will tend to fight, especially if they can smell female piggies) - it's very tricky to neuter a guinea pig as they have an inguinal ring of intestine going around the scrotum, so you need to find an experienced vet or they can end up with hernias afterwards, although my vet did her first neuter on my piggy and did a great job - check that they've attended small animal conferences.

Cost me £55 but Charlie got an anal impaction afterwards, and unfortunately the locum vet on emergency Sunday night (of course - when else would an animal be ill? :roll:) didn't know about piggies - so that cost another £80 (for which I had to go home and figure out what was wrong with him from info on the net :roll:)

Then the unaccustomed humping once I put him with a girlfriend (a month after neuter) led poor Charlie to die of heart failure :( A side-effect I hadn't anticipated.

I have got 2 boys living happily together (touch wood) but they are brothers - I think you have to be pretty careful introducing 2 unrelated boars, with neutral territory etc. and nowhere near females - it tends to work best introducing a very young boy (5 or 6 weeks old) to an adult boar. That can go wrong as it did with one of my father/son combinations, when the baby grew up to be a greedy bully - I had to remove dad in the end :?

I've got 2 un-nuetered and unrelated boars living together and they adore each other.(Ones about 7 months the other nearly 2 years) Took 3 days to bond them but they are inseperable now. The younger one of the 2 is definitely the boss though.

boys don't need neutering to live as a pair of boys (more than a pair will tend to fight, especially if they can smell female piggies) - it's very tricky to neuter a guinea pig as they have an inguinal ring of intestine going around the scrotum, so you need to find an experienced vet or they can end up with hernias afterwards, although my vet did her first neuter on my piggy and did a great job - check that they've attended small animal conferences.

Cost me £55 but Charlie got an anal impaction afterwards, and unfortunately the locum vet on emergency Sunday night (of course - when else would an animal be ill? :roll:) didn't know about piggies - so that cost another £80 (for which I had to go home and figure out what was wrong with him from info on the net :roll:)

Then the unaccustomed humping once I put him with a girlfriend (a month after neuter) led poor Charlie to die of heart failure :( A side-effect I hadn't anticipated.

I have got 2 boys living happily together (touch wood) but they are brothers - I think you have to be pretty careful introducing 2 unrelated boars, with neutral territory etc. and nowhere near females - it tends to work best introducing a very young boy (5 or 6 weeks old) to an adult boar. That can go wrong as it did with one of my father/son combinations, when the baby grew up to be a greedy bully - I had to remove dad in the end :?

:wave: Thank you, thats a great help!

Back