• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay supplies near York...

norrielian

Mama Doe
Anyone know of anywhere local to me where I can buy timothy hay in bulk rather than spending a fortune on small bags from P@H.

Thanks
Lian

Does it have to be Timothy hay?

There is a farm just off the A64 into York that has hay bales for £3.

Hi :wave:

Thanks for that

I'm a little confused about the whole hay thing to be honest :? Dillon suffers from dental problems and Connie (Dillon's new girlfriend who comes home with him Thursday) has a molar spur (I think that is what Jill said) so I thought timothy hay would be better for them both?

Timothy hay contains silica-beads (or similar, can't remember now!) which makes it a bit more wearing on the molars, but any hay eat in large amounts will contribute to wearing down the teeth.
You could always mix a smaller amount of timothy hay into a bale of meadow hay :)

Timothy hay contains silica-beads (or similar, can't remember now!) which makes it a bit more wearing on the molars, but any hay eat in large amounts will contribute to wearing down the teeth.
You could always mix a smaller amount of timothy hay into a bale of meadow hay :)

Thanks, I think that is a good idea. Cost isn't a huge issue, I just feel like I'm being ripped off by buying the small bags of timothy from pet shops when I see everyone else on here buying in bulk. My only problem is that Dillon isn't a huge hay eater. Since Pippa died, I haven't had to top up his hay half as much.

How about ordering a large sack from Norman at the Dust Free Hay Company - one large sack fills approx 7-8 large dustbins, or you could get a pack of 5 smaller sacks - each one of those fills an 80L dustbin when uncompressed and they are about £4 a sack

How about ordering a large sack from Norman at the Dust Free Hay Company - one large sack fills approx 7-8 large dustbins, or you could get a pack of 5 smaller sacks - each one of those fills an 80L dustbin when uncompressed and they are about £4 a sack

Think I'll look into this as Helen mentioned this company to me too. I guess I just have to weigh up the cost of delivery as that could bump up the price over what I already pay. Thanks x

Lian, I am now going to go to Norman regularly as I don't like paying delivery costs to DHL as they are appalling. So if you wanted I could get you some too next time I go, we come up towards York to see friends so I can see what we are doing next time I go. I've just got 6 boxes so won't be going for a while but are more than welcome to buy a bag off me to try?

Lian, I am now going to go to Norman regularly as I don't like paying delivery costs to DHL as they are appalling. So if you wanted I could get you some too next time I go, we come up towards York to see friends so I can see what we are doing next time I go. I've just got 6 boxes so won't be going for a while but are more than welcome to buy a bag off me to try?

Helen that's so kind thanks. Will have a nosey on his site x

Is yours the timothy hay he sells then? Bit confused by his prices?

Is the size of bag you showed me last week classed as a bale?

Thanks
Lian x

No problem I've got 5 boxes and one bag. 4 boxes are soft and the bag is stalky and have already opended that one. I also have a box which he has stored in a different way so has asked me to try for him. I could give you half a bag of stalky and half a box of soft if you want to try the different types

The bag i showed you is a small bag and then there are the big bales too. I get the top option on the costs page!

No problem I've got 5 boxes and one bag. 4 boxes are soft and the bag is stalky and have already opended that one. I also have a box which he has stored in a different way so has asked me to try for him. I could give you half a bag of stalky and half a box of soft if you want to try the different types

Is stalky timothy? I just need to be careful with Dillon and now Connie because of dental probs and Dillon doesn't eat loads and loads so what he does have I want to wear his tear down as much as poss

No its not Timothy that I get its just Stalky hay think maybe its meadow hay, the stalky stuff isn't as stalky as the bag of hay you had for Dillon. I can easily bring it with me when I come to meet you and you can see what you think

No its not Timothy that I get its just Stalky hay think maybe its meadow hay, the stalky stuff isn't as stalky as the bag of hay you had for Dillon. I can easily bring it with me when I come to meet you and you can see what you think

I just get paranoid as I have always fed him timothy hay, then once I swapped for a few months to meadow hay and he developed dental problems. Its probably just his age and breeding but seemed too much of a coincidence so like him on timothy now.

Hay experts have a large 1.8 KG of timothy hay for £8.95 plus delivery. Do you think the dust free hay man will be able to tell me approx. what weight is in a bale of his timothy hay?

I just get paranoid as I have always fed him timothy hay, then once I swapped for a few months to meadow hay and he developed dental problems. Its probably just his age and breeding but seemed too much of a coincidence so like him on timothy now.

Hay experts have a large 1.8 KG of timothy hay for £8.95 plus delivery. Do you think the dust free hay man will be able to tell me approx. what weight is in a bale of his timothy hay?

Give him a ring he's a nice chap and very helpful. I would presume that they are the same size as the others which he says are 2kg but in actual fact are more like 2.3kg and some are heavier still.

Give him a ring he's a nice chap and very helpful. I would presume that they are the same size as the others which he says are 2kg but in actual fact are more like 2.3kg and some are heavier still.

That is much more reasonable than the other then as I would then have to pay over £4.49 delivery on top of £8.95 for 1.8 kg,whereas his price of £21.99 for two bales of timothy includes delivery and weighs more. Will have a think x

That is much more reasonable than the other then as I would then have to pay over £4.49 delivery on top of £8.95 for 1.8 kg,whereas his price of £21.99 for two bales of timothy includes delivery and weighs more. Will have a think x

Norman's small bales are £3 each the rest is delivery

Back