• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food change

rob699

Young Bun
Hello there,

Basically just a simple question on how to change a rabbits diet.

When we brought Richard from our local pet store he was on there own brand called "super museli" which we have kept on giving him.

But now we've apodoted Mime and she is on "pets at home pellets" I was wondering if it would be safe to try to get them onto 1 brand of food. which one would be better for my little lot? Pellets or Museli?

And how would i go about changing thier diet, gradually introducting for example pellets into the museli?

Also my little lot love eating the leaves of dandilions, this would cause any risk to them would it? it's like they can't get enough of them!

Many Thanks

Hi :wave:

Are they living together?

It is safe to change their diet as long as you do it very gradually, slowly mixing your new pellets with the old stuff, then gradually reducing the old museli.

I give mine dandilion leaves too but I always wash them first.

Lian x

Thanks for the reply :D

There in separate hutches but it's a bit heavy on the wallet forking out for 2 big bags of food, plus i hear that pellets are better for the rabbits is that true or just a myth?

Pellets definitely better. :) its important to change gradually though because a sudden change can upset their little tummies.
dandelions leaves are fine as long as theyre pesticide free - i think youre not supposed to feed them in excess though? unfortunately i dont know the recommended amount but if your bunnies are doing ok on it then youve probably got it right.

yeah i'll just put a few pellets in his food tonight see how he gets on with that.

Dandilion leaves havent been touched by anything chemical wise. I only pick a few for them as like a little free treat :D

i do that too cos I am scrooge and think why pay for treats when I can grow them :lol:

I like to grow herbs and grasses in pots too for them to nibble :)

growing herbs thats a fantastic idea! which herbs do you grow and which are the ones you stay away from?

gave richard about 6 pellets in his museli last night, checked this morning and he's ate them, so put the same amount in again tonight and see if he's ok if so i'll put a few more in tomorrow.

growing herbs thats a fantastic idea! which herbs do you grow and which are the ones you stay away from?

gave richard about 6 pellets in his museli last night, checked this morning and he's ate them, so put the same amount in again tonight and see if he's ok if so i'll put a few more in tomorrow.

I grow corainder and parsley in pots on the windowsill. I've found these to be quite easy - they adore basil but i can't keep it alive! there are others suitable i think but you'd have to have a search around the forum ofr alist cos ive forgotten which ones. :oops: also, get a big shallow dish, lay two sheets of kitchen towel in it, and grow cress on that - bunnies like cress and it is a cheap treat. :) depending on the age of your daughter she might enjoy seeing it grow too. :)

again a great idea about cress, my daughter would love to do something like that. I'm starting to love this forum!

Plus tesco sell pots of basil so i'll buy one of those for an occasional treat :D

again a great idea about cress, my daughter would love to do something like that. I'm starting to love this forum!

You'll be stuck here now- I only joined to ask one quick question about side effects of vaccinations and I'm still here nearly a year later :rolleyes:

Back