• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

best hutch for a nesting box?

seren

New Kit
Our bunny is due to give birth next week and i'm worried about the size of the 'bed' area in her present hutch. (its the starter hutch from pets at home)

I don't think there is enough room for her to stand over babies and feed them.

Can someone recommend a hutch with a large area she can make a nest?

Lots of the hutches ive looked at are no good as have a run underneath and I can imagine the babies getting out down the ladder.

Do I buy/make a nesting box? The last litter she made a nest in the 'bed' area of her hutch so I think she is likely to do this again.

Thanks

Our bunny is due to give birth next week and i'm worried about the size of the 'bed' area in her present hutch. (its the starter hutch from pets at home)

I don't think there is enough room for her to stand over babies and feed them.

Why is your bunny, that's old enough to be bred from in such a small hutch in the first place? She needs a good size hutch, approx 6ft x 2ft x 2ft so she has plently of space to move around, get away from the babies and build her nest to her hearts content. After this litter please concider getting her spayed and a friend and not continuing to breed from her. I have 14 unwanted babies in rescue at the moment, we don't really need anymore ...........

Is there any need to jump on a poster on the basis of your assumptions and reading in to words without further questioning?

Her hutch is large (she only goes in there at night) ** the bed ** area however is not, she has been a house rabbit and a male next door burrowed through impregnating her while she was in garden. We are getting her spayed after she has had the babies.

You are very rude and my question was can anyone recommend a hutch.

Thank you

Is there any need to jump on a poster on the basis of your assumptions and reading in to words without further questioning?

I did ask the question! I apologise if I came across rude but like you said in your post this is not her first litter and I have seen the Pets at Home starter hutches and they are far from adequate. :?

Try the Happy Hutch company - they do some reasonable ones.

How come he managed to get her pregnant twice though? I would get a hutch with a run underneath, like a 6 ft by 2 ft by 2ft hutch with a 6ft by 4ft run underneath. The one from the Happy Hutch company has a decent sized bedroom, although the opening is a bit big. But you could make that smaller by adding another piece of wall, then it is more protected. Or you make a box, but that would make it more difficult to clean and check on the babies without touching or disturbing them.
You can close off the run so that the babies can't fall down. But it is safer to have a bunny in a run than free range in the garden. If the neighbour's bunny has the time to get her pregnant, then a fox can kill her, too. If the run is on concrete, then the fox can't dig in and the bunny can't dig out. I let mine in a run on grass only when I am around and can see what they are doing.
Hope that helps.

Her hutch is large (she only goes in there at night) ** the bed ** area however is not, she has been a house rabbit and a male next door burrowed through impregnating her while she was in garden. We are getting her spayed after she has had the babies.

You are very rude and my question was can anyone recommend a hutch.

Thank you
I can't see how you thought Chloe's post was rude :?
Anyway if her hutch is large then fill her large area with lots of hay.. Is she an outdoor bun now ?

If shes due to give birth soon and you dont want/have time to wait for a delivery, i would recommend a pets at home Lavendar Lodge. its 6ft by 2ft x 2ft and the bedroom section is large enough for a next of babies, and the bedroom section has a bit a of wood with an arch in it connecting it to the rest of the hutch, so it would help keep babies warm. But try to put her in the new hutch asap as she may get worried if she is put in the new hutch too close to the birth, she may not feel that it is a safe enviroment for her babies. make sure you dont touch the nest either. good luck and i hope i helped xxxxx

Back