• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another bonding one - sorry!!! 2 males and a female?

lucy pepsi

Warren Scout
Well Marley should be able to get the snip in a few weeks. Dexter however is going to take months until he puts on sufficient amounts of weight. So Marley is all on his own in a 7x3.5 hutch/run on his own for the next 4 months. :(

He seems lonely :? and bored and is ignoring the toys in his new run.
So was wondering about getting him a wife ready for after his op.
(slightly influenced by having fallen in love with Dolly at Honeybunnies on RR!)

So i have 2 questions:roll:

1. If i got Marley a wife would it still be possible to bond Dexter into the group??? There would then be 2 males and one female....

2. Is the 7x3.5 housing big enough for 2/3 rabbits? They will also be getting patio time when i am home as soon as i get wire up on the fence!

Hi, we just managed to successfully bond a male with our bonded pair and it went completely without drama:D (knock on wood...) So it is definitely possible to have two males and a female together. But before this successful bonding we tried our bonded pair with another male which didn't work out at all and we had to separate them because of serious fighting... Our girl is always friendly towards any new bun but our boy Roger is a little Alfa bun and is not willing to give up his rank. The boy we introduced is the friendliest soul I have ever seen. He is very submissive and loves to groom other bunnies so he was instantly popular. The boy we tried before was not submissive and would not give in to Roger and there was hardly a minute without fighting. So it really depends on their characters.

If you decide to get a wife for Marley I would advice you to think over what will happen if you cannot bond all three - could you have two couples separate instead? It is really sad if you end up with three buns who do not get along...

Regarding the housing I really can't say - our buns are free ranging house buns:D Hopefully someone else will help you out with that soon:wave: Good luck!

I would echo what Sandra said. Its not impossible I now have three albeit two girls and a boy. I would also say I am lucky as I knew all of mine were quite undominant and agressive having seen them meet or live with other rabbits and I suspect they all, bar the newbie, had pretty good rabbit manners.

Mine live in a double shed though with an attached run and therefore have plenty of space to escape each other if they need to and I think this helps if their is any tension early on. I deliberately made lots of places for hiding and escaping this weekend so that the chances of bullying were reduced and it is still early days.

You could always start now by putting their runs next to each other so they can smell each other and communicate through a fence until they have had their operations.

Back