• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

6 babies!

hunnybun

Mama Doe
One of the buns in the rescue ( Millie) has a nest of 6 babies this morning! she came into the rescue with a 6 month old male ( who was re homed this weekend) so no surprise really!
(I separated them within 5 mins of them arriving) I have another girl who has 2 x 4 week olds and I was told she was pregnant again when she came to the rescue last week! so more babies soon :shock: will post photos as they are growing :D

:shock:crikey, you've got your hands full then. they are lucky to be in such a good place and be well cared for. hope the babies do really well:D

awwww they look like my baby rats when they were born - all pink and see through :love:

please do keep us updated!!! I would love top watch them grow into fluffy little cuties!!!

I took on a rabbit over a year ago who turned out to be pregnant she had 6 babies and was a fantastic mother, it was amazing watching them grow, they were all so different. Good luck with everything:D
Sallyx

Thank you for those photos hunnybun, it would be lovely if you could supply more as they grow. Although I would never want any of my very own (only 2 rabbits for me please!) they are very sweet!:D

Did you know that she was pregnant or did you just "suspect that may be so"?

All the best with them,

TP;)

Thank you for those photos hunnybun, it would be lovely if you could supply more as they grow. Although I would never want any of my very own (only 2 rabbits for me please!) they are very sweet!:D

Did you know that she was pregnant or did you just "suspect that may be so"?

All the best with them,

TP;)

Yes I will be taking photos every few days so keep an eye on that link :) the same link is on the home page of my website ;) I only suspected she was pregnant! she arrived at the rescue with a 6 month old male so chances were quite hight though!! I have another girl who has 4 babies at nearly 5 weeks old, and the previous owners said she will be pregnant again so more babies soon maybe! :shock: and I have some 10 week olds arriving soon too! :shock:

Oh my goodness! - You're like a "bunny maternity ward"!:shock: I do not envy the amount of work it must be to care for so many!

GOOD! I am pleased that I will be able to "watch them grow" - bless them too!
Thanking you muchly!:)

Dear me, it must make your heart sink every time your suspicion proves to be true:( All the very best with your "little pinkies" and your other little ones...I await to see what colours that "downy hair" turns out to be.

TP;)

Without sounding nasty, it seems to me that more and more rabbits are having litters in rescues these days. This would be ok if rescues didn’t complain at breeders so much. I have a problem with rescue rabbits having babies because it just fills up rescues more quickly, the breeded pair are not carefully selected rabbits (as a breeder would) so that means all kinds of genetic weaknesses, and its more pressure on people to rescue. I know it’s not “always” the rescues fault but it just makes them look like they are contradicting themselves when they look happy about it.

...again no offence I just felt like I had to say that.

You weren't being nasty blueboy, although I'm not too sure what you mean by being "happy" - I'm thinking it is more about "making best of a bad situation" to be fair. Nobody was suggesting these rabbits should have been bred at all - just that the rabbits themselves were cute (that was me!;)) and now they're born I would like to watch them grow as I am not a breeder and would be interested in their development.

You make a very valid point in what you say: genetic weaknesses and such could indeed occur from such circumstances and people who know nothing about breeding ought not breed - I agree with you 100%

It wasn't the rescue that bred them though - they just got dumped with the result of somebody else's ignorance...though they be cute.

No offence taken! TP;)

Without sounding nasty, it seems to me that more and more rabbits are having litters in rescues these days. This would be ok if rescues didn’t complain at breeders so much. I have a problem with rescue rabbits having babies because it just fills up rescues more quickly, the breeded pair are not carefully selected rabbits (as a breeder would) so that means all kinds of genetic weaknesses, and its more pressure on people to rescue. I know it’s not “always” the rescues fault but it just makes them look like they are contradicting themselves when they look happy about it.

...again no offence I just felt like I had to say that.

Thats a ridiculous statement.
The rescues are picking up the pieces of breeders, backstreet or not.
No offence...but...How someone can possibly say a rescue is contradicting itself by taking in pregnant rabbits is utterly absurd.
The rescues are probably happy that mum and babies survived after the awful start to life :(

If they arrive pregnant, what's the rescuer meant to do? Turn them away or refuse to find the resulting kits adorable? (They really are!)

Ideally of course the pairing wouldn't happen in such an irresponsible way, (health problems etc.).

However, at least this way when the babies are rescued they are going to end up with caring "forever home" owners who are aware of the responsibilities involved in rabbit ownership; they'll be neutered when they're of age, and the cycle won't be perpetuated. Much better than the babies and mummy ending up on preloved or freeads :)

Thats a ridiculous statement.
The rescues are picking up the pieces of breeders, backstreet or not.
No offence...but...How someone can possibly say a rescue is contradicting itself by taking in pregnant rabbits is utterly absurd.
The rescues are probably happy that mum and babies survived after the awful start to life :(

I really don’t think that the majority of these pregnant does are from “professional” breeders. No one is twisting the rescues arm to take on pregnant rabbits; there are people out there that know more about this then a rescue. I know rescues are just carrying out their daily duties by taking on these rabbits. But let’s face it, most shout at breeders who are doing things professionally when the chances are they have a doe ready to have a litter themselves. What’s the difference? I am just saying it looks like they are contradicting themselves. If rescues carry on having litters born then people will just go “the problem can’t be that serious then, Ill go to a pet shop or Ill go to a breeder”. That is just how it could look.

I think you are very right blueboy, I think most of these does do not come from "professional" breeders but rather people who did not see fit to pay out and spay their does - I agree.

I think the difference is that though a rescue may very well have in their care a doe ready to have a litter they didn't breed it - they didn't willfully go out and add to the problem of too many rabbits without a home...

TP;)

I really don’t think that the majority of these pregnant does are from “professional” breeders. No one is twisting the rescues arm to take on pregnant rabbits; there are people out there that know more about this then a rescue. I know rescues are just carrying out their daily duties by taking on these rabbits. But let’s face it, most shout at breeders who are doing things professionally when the chances are they have a doe ready to have a litter themselves. What’s the difference? I am just saying it looks like they are contradicting themselves. If rescues carry on having litters born then people will just go “the problem can’t be that serious then, Ill go to a pet shop or Ill go to a breeder”. That is just how it could look.

To most people it doesn't look like that at all. Anyone with half an ounce of common sense would realise that the rescues are just picking up the pieces of irresponsible or ignorant owners/breeders.
The difference is that the rescue did not mate a pair of rabbits. The breeder/owner did.
The rescues are not responsible for bringing more rabbits into this world.
Anyone that thinks the problem can't be serious if rescues allow babies to be born are just as ignorant and would probably go to a petstore/breeder anyway with that attitude and lack of sense.
What do you suggest they do?
Turn them away?
Book them in for late terminations risking the life of the mother?
Its different if its an early pregnancy and an emergency spay is carried out but not all rescues can afford this and so they have no choice but to care for the doe and then have the responsibility of rehoming mum and the babies.

Yes I know what rescues are doing but what I am saying is that more and more rescues are indeed happy to have rabbits give birth to a litter these days on their premises. It almost looks like rescues want to take on the roll of a rescue and breeder to make sure things are done “correctly” (in their opinion). Yes a backyard breeder did mate the rabbits, or they where bred “accidentally” and YES it has been known that rescues do breed rabbits as well. Again chances are slim that a rescue would receive a pregnant doe from a professional breeder and that is why there are not many rare breeds in rescues. Well if you are having a dig at me for having lack of common sense (and it looks like you are) then you would be far far wrong, because I am actually on your side here. I am just stating the obvious.

I know of one rescue that actually works along side a breeder, and any pregnant dose that come in they hand the rabbit to the breeder to handle. There is a contract between the breeder and rescue that the breeder will not breed from the rabbits and they will be rehome as soon as they are old enough, neutered and vaccinated via the rescue. But like I said before, a true professional breeder doesn’t breed cross breeds anyway.

i dont see how can say its not 'always' the rescues fault.

unless the rescue bred the bunny themselves....it is NEVER their fault! #(not that a rescue wud do that im just saying that wud be the only way blame could be brought)

The reason people seem 'happy'is because it is not the baby bunnies fault. They still deserve love! Its making the best out of a bad situation.

Back