• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breathing faster than normal

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could Help my lop Misty seems to always be breathing fast always laying down. and when she soes decide to come out of her cage she only ever comes out for and bout 5 minute then goes back in the cage to lay down.
I am a bit worried as my other bunny dexter. He will spent most of the day out side the cage and his breathing doesn't seem to be as fast as hers.

Please can anyone help!!

thanks

Leah

If I were you I'd get her checked over by a vet. I'm not suggesting that there is anything seriously wrong with your rabbit but I am of the opinion that if you're worried somebody that can see your rabbit "in the know" is your best bet to put your mind at rest. From what you describe I'm kind of thinking asthma but am unsure whether rabbits suffer from such a condition (maybe somebody more knowledgable than I can enlighten us on that one?)

Any-ho! Vets I would suggest. ATB!!! TP;)

I would definately get your Rabbit examined by a Vet. Her 'fast breathing' and apparent lethargy *might* indicate a Respiratory Tract or heart problem.
As a reference the normal respiration rate for a Rabbit is 32-60 breaths per minute. There should be minimal 'effort' in respiration so you should not see the Bun's ribs heaving in and out and when at rest there should not be lots of visible body movement as Bun breathes.

Good luck at the vets :)

Janex

Thanks for the advise, it is much appreciated, I have an appointment at the vets on Friday morning. I just hope it isn’t too serious and that I am just over worrying.

Thanks

Leah
:)

Back