• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New babies?

Accidents

Young Bun
On 21st January I got a phone call from my mother while I was at work. My hutches had fallen over, and the rabbits (2boys 6months+ 1girl 2 years+) got together.

My mother is "Afried" of rabbits, and shoo'd them all in to the same cage. So they were together for about 3 hours + as I couldn't leave work, and then we had a late parent. I read a few articles, and Plus i kept checking her stomach. She seemed the same. Until tonight, It looks like shes snowed fur in to her bed section, And she has gotten more agressive lately. And she was walking around with sawdust in her mouth tonight.

Today makes it 27 days, And shes stolen the new food bowl that I bought and seems shes using that instead of a box i've read i have to put in.

Really have no idea what to do. Is she safe? shes never been breeded before, I never planned on it. But kept her Breedable just incase, as shes a mini lop.

What size box should i put in ? Do i even need to put the box in? as her bed section is like a different room altogether in the hutch an completely sealed off.

Could it be a phantom pregnancy? like humans have. As her stomach is the same size as far as i can tell.

Thankz .

i know rabbits CAN get phantom pregnancies but maybe if she's been with a male she is pregnant?
Im not the best person to answer on this one but I hope things sort out ok for you :?

sounds like shes deffo pregnant,rabbits dont usally show signs there having babys till much later on in pregnancy! (my rabbit deffo didnt show any signs) Keep an eye on her to see when shes had the babys - youll need to check for any babys that have died

Oh dear! I can do little more than to wish you the best and *hope* she's not pregnant...If she is wishing you the best with that too.:(

Hiya,

Not sure how big the food bowl is but if she's incorporating that into her nest it might need removing. The bed area of a hutch is fine, she doesn't need a seperate box But yoou need to add a low barrier across the entrance hole so she can fit through but the babies won't crawl/get dragged out (until they are big enough to hop over). It only need to be a couple of inches.

What's the dad like? Is he about the same size? If not you'll need to keep avery close eye as if the babies are too big you may need to get her to the vet for a c-section.

When they arrive check the nest for babies but other than that leave mum to it.

Tamsin

Both boys are smaller than her, one is half her size.

I'll take the food bowl out the nest tomorrow morning,

It's a good job I was planning on getting a new cage anyhow for her. :)

What do I do with the babies (If she is)

Do pets shops take them in England? or do i have to find homes for them myself?

Accidents, You can put a note up in your nearest post office/shop or just let word spread that you have babies and then you can meet the people that will care for your rabbits and "suss them out" so to speak. I haven't got a rabbit yet - I have 2 coming the week before Easter as "word of mouth" let me know a lady living near me had an "accident" whereby she thought she had 2 females...People will take them, it's just a case of WHO you want to take them. ATB! ;)

If she does have babies keep and eye on her and the babies, as she's over 1 year old she may have trouble giving birth so may need veterinary help. If all goes well then you can leave her to it as rabbits are generally good mothers.

Don't be tempted to touch the babies or move them until they're older (2-3 weeks) But if any get kicked out of the nest then chances are they'll be dead and mummy bunny doesn't want them near her other babies so it will need removing, hopefully this won't happen.

Make sure she has plenty of food, water and hay, but leave the nest area alone, don't add anything or take anything away, she'll do anything that needs doing. You can handle the babies and get them used to human contact when they start to explore outside of the nest at about 3 weeks.

The babies can leave mum at 8 weeks old. Your best bet is word of mouth to find them new homes, adverts in your local paper, shops etc But make sure the babies are going to good homes.

It's worth getting your boys neutered to prevent further accidents. And 2 or 3 months after giving birith it's worth getting your girly spayed as it'll also help prevent uterine cancer.

Dont take them to a pet store, you'll have no control over where they go and pet stores are terrible for looking after bunnies. You could advertise them on here (free) and get good homes. Again word of mouth or freeads if thats not working. Pet stores encourage impulse buying and the bunnies may end up in home thats not suitable.

Good luck!!

Back