• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Animal friendly paint or varnish?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Just wondered whats best for hutches paint or varnish? I have tried searching but im just more confused than I was this morning :lol:

When I say whats best, I mean what will protect the wood better :D Ive used Cuprinol shades on my happyhutch but im not sure if I should have used varnish instead of paint :?

Im doing my Ryedale hutch next weekend and want to use the right stuff on this one :lol:

Last edited:
erm.. arent we supposed to use animal friendly one? I use the PAH one not sure if it's the best though, or how much more animal friendly it is than others.

erm.. arent we supposed to use animal friendly one? I use the PAH one not sure if it's the best though, or how much more animal friendly it is than others.

Yes sorry we are supposed to use an animal friendly one :D I thought people would just assume I meant animal friendly as I said im putting it on my rabbit hutches and I didnt think anyone would recommend anything toxic x

There is no PAH where I live and the pet shops dont sell things like this here :D

I've used Cuprinol Shades and am satisfied with it. Better than the other stuff that I tried that came off with a damp cloth :roll: Have you had problems with it on the Happy Hutch?
Also have you found any pet safe varnish yet? I'm afraid I've only ever used varnish on furniture indoors which doesn't help much does it. :lol:

Mike

I sometimes use exterior varnish on my hutch floors to stop wee soaking in. I don't think I'd use it anywhere they could potentially chew it though.

Amy

Thanks guys :D Ive not found a varnish no, but havent looked because last time I went to look there was so many different types I got confused :lol:

Its only going on the outside of the hutches so they wont be chewing it :D

I think I will just stick to the cuprinol shades, ive not had any problems with it on my happyhutch but it hasnt been on long enough to know I dont think :lol:

Yeah , I got the P@H hutch stain and it STINKS.

it gave my whole family head aches and nausea when i was using it IN THE GARDEN.

Id imagine it must be safe but it dont half hurt ur head!

Back