• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

****Poss Poorly Bun - Urgent replies required*****

Zorro

Warren Scout
Hi my little guy doesn't seem 100%, his left eye is what concerns me.

The fur surrounding the lower part of his eye is all matted down away from the eye lid, as if his eye has been weeping but it doesn't look like it is actually weeping, although it could be doing it slowly!!!

I got my rabbit (dwarf lop) 1 week ago, he is 9 weeks old & eating & drinking ok. He has been sat very quiet all day today. Is there a common problem with rabbits & their eyes???

***extra info: He is an indoor bunny, hasn't had his jabs yet & appears to be going to the toilet normally.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Has he had a vet check since you got him? It may be something as simple as a bit of dust or it could be conjunctivitis, an infection or a indication of a tooth root problem or pasteurella.

Best thing is to pop him to the vets for a MOT tomorrow.

If he's eating, drinking and toileting normally then it should be safe to wait until tomorrow before taking him for a check up with the vet. He may have a slight eye infection, or even a blocked tear duct. Have alook at the insdie of his fron legs/paws..is the hair there matted at all?

My other half said he had a 'moist' poo yesterday but no actual diahorrea.

I've noticed him washing himself a couple of times but nothing excessive, just his routine cleaning I would think.

leaving mum and going to new places etc. does knock the immune system of a fragile baby bunny, so it could be an underlying health problem which has overwhelmed him at a tricky time, or it could be something as simple as a bit of dirt in his eye - is he bedded on sawdust? Can you pull his bottom eyelid down a bit and see if anything's there? My piggy Olly got a hayseed stuck in his and it looked terrible :shock:

Yeah, he is bedded in sawdust, is there a better alternative bearing in mind he is indoors???

Is he in a cage? You just use newspaper in the base and litter train him. IN the litter tray you can use would or paper based cat litter topped with hay. I used to use wilkos woodbased cat litter which was really good and smells lovely. Saw dust can casue respiratory problems.

p.s mine are all indoors and once litter trained its really easy to clean them out.

Hopefully we will have him litter training soon.

I've attached some pictures of his eye, not very clear on the detail unfortunately.
He has just been scratching at it but i haven't noticed him scratching at it before, so hopefully it is not irritating him. i've had him in my sight all day.

z5mv9.jpg

z6ni6.jpg

z7hx1.jpg

z8gq2.jpg

I think he will be ok but gonna take him to the vets in the morning:cry::cry:

Last edited:
Awwwww try not to worry, My Holly has a runny eye today too, I think that's her teeth though. Sending lots of vibes. :D

sometimes if there is a problem with their teeth it can make their eyes run...hopefully this is very unlikely in a young bunny. It could be a few things but if he's eating and pooping the vet will be able to sort it tommorrow.

Thanks, I feel a bit better about it now.

Poor little bunnies, I hate it when animals get ill, i'd rather it was me :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Its horrible isn't it, especially with bunnies. If only they could tell you where it hurt and you cold reassure them that you will get them better. Hope he perks up tommorrow.

Back