• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning up new bun

bunny_mummy42

Warren Scout
Hi,
I posted on her a few weeks ago about the problems I was having with an aggressive rescue bunny that I was trying to pair with my young female bun.
Well, after repeated attempts (and repeated attacks by him), he was returned to the rescue :cry:. My lil bun Miffy was so stressed that she was agitated even if his cage was in he same room as hers. Having two hutches wasnt really an option - he was meant to be a companion - so sadly we had to give him up.
Anyways, I went to a local pet shop and got a 12 week old lionhead to pair with her (obviously he's not neutered yet so they are in separate cages for now). He's one big ball of fluff. I noticed yesterday that he was a bit smelly, but thought nothing of it. This morning, I noticed that his tail and back paws were covered in wee. On further investigation (I turned him upside down :roll:) I found out that whoever bred him has done a terrible job of looking after him - all I can say is thank goodness I got him yesterday. The fur around his bits is matted to the point where it is only going to get sorted if it comes off. There is poo matted there too and his back paws have poos matted into them as well. Am so mad. :evil: This poor bun is not very old and obviously whoever bred him never groomed him - or cleaned his hutch out much from the looks of it. I've tried cleaning him up a bit and am going to have another go now with wet cotton wool balls. Tho I get the impression that I'll be ringing the vets on Monday to have it shaved.
Am not overly impressed with the fact that the pet shop a)took him in and b)sold him when he was in such a state. :censored:
Just wanted to rant really - if anyone has any other advice on how I can clean him up, that would be great.
Also meant to add that his nails need a good trim as well. :evil:

Poor thing!!!!!!

I had to give Dexter a big hair cut last week to get to his wounds properly :censored:

Can someone help you hold him still so you can carefully snip a bit of the hair away no to make him more comfortable overnight? I think a vet trip is a must in the morning anyway though :(

The more i am on this forum the more outrages i become over the way rabbits are treated.:censored:

Well done for saving him and taking care of him :)

Maybe see if you ban pop him in the sink with a low level of luke warm water with some special rabbit shampoo? May just need abit of a soak if he will tolerate it, ive had to wash joeys paws a few times and he never minds, saffys a little bit more of a handful but have only had to wash her bum once lol thankgoodness!! Thats terrible the shop did that, have you complained, im not a big fan of petshops, havent heard of one looking after there animals properly, its all about making money no matter what unfortunately.

Snip snip!

Well, I went back upstairs, armed with one bowl of lukewarm water, cotton wool balls and some hairdressing scissors. Turned Spot onto his back again, and he sat there quiet as a little mouse - so quietly that I was able to use both hands to work on the matted fur and poos. Unfortunately it was pretty matted, so the scissors were used and he has a very interesting haircut underneath now!! :D Managed to get most of the clumps out, and gave him a brush afterwards as well to get rid of any bits I'd missed... His paws still seem a little matted but that might be because the hair is short now! Am still going to take him to the vets this week for a check-up and vaccinations, and will see what the vet says. Bless little Spot - he's in a new house with a female bunny who's very interested in investigating his cage, and he's just spent a good 30 mins flat on his back being tugged at and snipped at!

well done for cleaning the poor little guy up - thank goodness you got him! :D If there's little bits of dirt too short to clip out, you can get it off dry fur (or you will make a white sauce :shock:) with cooking cornflour, dry, rubbed into the dirt with your fingernails - the dirt will slide off :)

Back